Flaked Oats vs Oat Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtom1991

Reaction score
i know one is malted and one isn't but whats the difference/benefit of using one form over the other ? or is there a benefit if they be used in conjunction ?

not sure about flavor, but oat malt has conversion power?

Showing 0 DP on BrewersFriend,

Says online its fairly flavor neutral when used below 20% and that Oat Malt in 5-10% imparts mouthfeel and head retention which is what i have used Flaked Oats for in the past.

Whats not to like?

LOL, the fact you DIDN'T use an apostrophe! ;) :mug:

recently educated, over user....

but back to the point, pun/irony intended, i malted my own from feed store whole oats. it smelled phenominal during the boil! i was about to tell the germans and their reins-gobot, to f'off. and brew with 100% oat malt from there on, but in the glass, it had a grassy taste? do you think i should drop the cash on some pro oat malt, see if it gets that heavy cream smell of the boil into the glass?

and to the OP, i'd go with the oat malt myself, more flavor produced....

Last edited:
I used to default to flaked oats, but the last many batches I have use oat malt - mostly for the extra husks in the mash.
Honestly haven't noticed any difference in the product, but I have noticed I can run my mash recirculation rate significantly higher, perhaps as much as 1/2gpm. I may actually buy a full bag next winter...

Cheers!

My highest usage was 36% with no grassy flavor. I notice that grassyness when I chew it raw. My cousin gets a vegetable flavor from beers that use flaked oats ,so I tried the malted version about 3-4 yrs ago and now only use the flakes in my toasted oat wit.

I've never thought of this, did a quick look up and found a few things that might be of interest.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/differences-between-oat-flakes-and-oat-malt.646904/
and

https://brulosophy.com/2018/10/01/flaked-vs-malted-oats-in-a-new-england-ipa-exbeeriment-results/
So..... if I understand right, switching from flaked oats to oat malt will basically be identical from a beer standpoint, but possibly allow me to reduce the rice hulls I always add when I am using flaked oats? That'd be pretty sweet.

(I use flaked oats in a stout recipe, 1 lb in a 5 gallon batches, and am not convinced the beer's any smoother than any other beer, but - I suppose that's a different thread for another time).

They crush differently, and the husks look like daylilly blossoms.
Oh bracc, the apostrophe was lost in the yellow snow during a pancake breakfast. I figure the odds be 50/50 I might find it this spring.

Note one has to tighten a mill gap for oat malt vs typical barley malts lest they pass through unmolested. I use the same ~.022" gap as for wheat malt, while I use ~.032" for barley.

Also, if one is used to conditioning malt prior to milling, try it on a small (1/2#) sample first and see how it goes. With the tight gap one may find (as I did) the mill can get choked with oat husks to the point of stalling...

Cheers!

Back