Flaked Oats.... Flavor and mouthful it imparts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So I'm sure there are threads here somewhere already about this but I couldn't find them.

How much flavor and mouthful do flaked oats impart into the beer. I'm going to be brewing a breakfast stout (with coffee, oats and chocolate) and it calls for 22oz of oats. However I'm just wondering if I would notice a difference by cutting it down to only 1 lb or if I upped it to 2lbs. If so, what is the difference and how would it change it overall?

Thanks so much!

If they're just going to be steeped, that's a lot. If this is the case I would keep it under a pound.

It is thrown into the mash with the rest of the 20ish pounds of grains for the imperial stout. I did one imperial oatmeal stout and used 2lbs and it worked well. So that is why I was asking. Thanks for the info and I'll look into it.

In that case I would say yes there will be a detectable difference. I can pick up a slight viscous, earthiness at 10%. If I thought I could get away with using 20% without a stuck mash I would jump on it. I've heard several on here say they manage just fine.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Something of an afterthought, this really should go in the recipe forum.

Latest posts

Back