Flaked corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syncman

Reaction score
BIAB Electric 2Gal occasional brewer

A while ago I had the local brew store put together a recipe that need a small quantity of flaked corn. However, I had to buy a full 1lb packet. Now I am wondering what adding flaked corn to my own recipes would do to an IPA? [my favorite]

It's an adjunct, just mash it with your 2-row malt and whatever else is in the grain bill. It leans no flavor, just easy fermentables. It thins out the body of the beer somewhat. I use it in Light Lagers and Saisons (Tank 7 clone).

I get better efficiency by boiling/simmering the flaked corn first in water (3-4 qts/pound of flaked corn minimum) for 30-60 minutes, before doing the mash. Stir well so it won't stick and scorch. Then use that gluey corn water (plus more water) for your (BIAB) mash.
It gather it has something to do with the gelatinization temp of corn. The "flaking" process doesn't seem to gelatinize it enough or completely, hence the pre-boiling. Or do a cereal mash, which takes just as long. ;)

Island are you sure it doesn't yield any flavor ? I can taste it in my Mexican Lager .

Everyone is different and some taste things where others don't taste them. IMO, provides a bit of a corn taste. Think of the cereal "Corn Flakes". Does this cereal have any taste? To me, yes.

Also, I prefer the maize instead of rice in a beer.

Island are you sure it doesnt yield any flavor ? I can taste it in my Mexican Lager .
IMO, provides a bit of a corn taste.
Yeah, you guys are right, they indeed add a bit of corn flavor in beers that don't hide anything, such as Mexican and Light Lagers.

I had that Tank 7 Saison in mind. Even with 40% flaked corn in it, I couldn't tell, but there's a lot more going on in there between the yeast and hops. In Tank 7 the corn may stand out when directly comparing to one that was brewed with say, flaked rice or plain sugar instead.

Back