Nice! I would be very interested to hear if there is still foam retention after bottle conditioning.ok so report:
I bottled my irish red tonight, which also signified the 3 week mark for my second non-boiled over and late add of majority of extract porter...and....
SUCCESS!!!! This version of the porter has head and the same great taste!!! The head itself was thick with small bubbles, creamy in texture and clung on until the last drop, I'd call that perfect. The body of the beer itself was more pronounced, not as hollow as the headless cola version of the same porter.
I can only really conclude that a less vigorous boil over lower heat to avoid boil-over during hot break plus the late addition of the majority of the extract was the key here to producing quality head on the brew.
Thank you for this thread - it has solved my problem.
the porter? it's done bottle conditioning, as i was bottling the irish red i was drinking the successful version of porter after 3 weeks in the bottle.Nice! I would be very interested to hear if there is still foam retention after bottle conditioning.
I have also puzzled over the head that consists of big bubbles that dissipate quickly, so I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion.
So far, I've only had the bubbly dissipating head in a few bottles of each batch- beer still tastes good. With the remainder of the bottles being normal.
So in my case I put it down to something contaminating the bottles. I don't put them in the dishwasher or use detergent on them.
Sometimes the "bubbly beer" will go in to a glass that just had a good-headed beer in it so I don't think it's the glasses.
I sanitize my bottles with a weak bleach solution then rinse with tap water.
I know that I soaked some of my bottles in the kitchen sink once to remove labels. And then the second time i went to do that on different bottles i noticed that there was the slightest film of detergent or an oil on the water's surface in places that you could see in the light. I don't soak or sanitise anything in the kitchen sink now.
At this point I'm thinking that some of my bottles may have gotten some kind of very slight oil or detergent contamination in them that didn't wash out with the sanitisation and rinse and it destroyed the head. A beersmith podcast talks about both of these things being good at destroying head.
Or, my city tap water has things in it and I should use a no rinse sanitiser.
But, I also like the less intense boil idea to improve head/lacing too so I will try that with the next batch.