Fixing Green Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgeofblade

Reaction score
Let's say you have a collection of green bottles and you MUST put your hyper-hoppy, hyper-bitter beer in them. What measures might you take to protect your beer?

I had one kind of silly idea: if you throw a shirt over your glass carboy to keep the light out, you could always get little baby clothes for your beer bottles...

I'm looking for ideas I might not have considered. I've thought about heat shrinking the bottles, like a Guinness Draught. Also, I've considered "rehabilitating" the glass by staining it brown, though I wouldn't know how to even start.

Dark closet while carbing and then the fridge... minimal light time :) Your shoes and other closet items will smell skunky no matter where you put them, but not your beer

Spray paint them black (use a primer first, and make sure the paint will hold on glass)... Just make sure you mask the top lips of the bottles (upper 1/2" or so) as well as the openings to prevent ANY spray from going inside them.

With that method, you could use some champagne bottles, spray them flat black and have some really cool bottles for brew... Of course, I would make sure the paint can stand up to your sanitizing process too. Otherwise, you could fill them, let them bottle condition/carbonate in the dark (closet, in boxes) and then paint when safe. Since no one drinks home brew out of the bottles, you don't need to worry about so much there. Still, I would make sure you leave a decent amount of glass without paint on it at the top.

I might go this route with bottles for a future barley wine... Although with Belgian bottles, I really don't need to worry (they're brown after all)... :D

Ken doll clothing? I don't think you can find 12 Gi-joe outfits these days...But that would be more macho. Little shirts for the little bottles?

ken-tux.jpg

Or there's always little squirrel cadavers, there is a precedence for that.

Golddiggie said:
Since no one drinks home brew out of the bottles, you don't need to worry

I'll drink my homebrew out of the bottle. Sometimes the sediment adds a flavor that compliments the beverage it was sitting in.

On topic, you could try and get bulk bottle cozies and put your bottles in those. Keep them colder longer and protect them.

http://www.discountkoozies.com/?gclid=CLbAro_qlqgCFQOt7QoduG0iZQ

Back