Fixing a hole in my keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
It's taken me forever to get my hands on a keg to be able to make a keggle. Someone picked one up for me but come to find out, it has a small hole drilled in the bottom. I'm assuming for making a gas tank but they never got around to it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should patch it? Do I have to do something special for it to be food safe or since it won't be holding wort for long periods, maybe that won't be a problem?

Thanks!

depending on location an size of the hole..
I would cut the top off as normal and then cut a blank out of the top to use as a filler for the hole and silver solder it in place.

Hey all,
It's taken me forever to get my hands on a keg to be able to make a keggle. Someone picked one up for me but come to find out, it has a small hole drilled in the bottom. I'm assuming for making a gas tank but they never got around to it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should patch it? Do I have to do something special for it to be food safe or since it won't be holding wort for long periods, maybe that won't be a problem?

Thanks!

As far as food safe goes, anything before or in the boil is good to go. Your repair could be solder or weld and it'll be fine since it's going to be boiled.

Now, the best repair would be (IMO) a weld with a purge on the backside of the weld.
There is nothing wrong with a solder repair either.

At any rate, if you grind or polish the repair. I'd make sure that the flapper wheel or grind wheel hasn't been used for anything else but stainless steel.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :mug:

Hate to receive this old thread but I just tested my freshly cut open keggle.and there is a pinhole in bottom. Guys got any pics of your repair? Thinking just drill it out, put a short bolt through bottom, but on the inside then solder the inside with a torch? Would the burner not remelt the solder? I was super excited about this keg! Neighbor gave it to me free of charge!!!!

Back