Fixed (?) Keg Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheEndlessObsession

Reaction score
So this is my first time kegging (surprise, surprise!) and I hit quite the stumbling block right away. I definitely had a leak in one of my gas plugs. After trying every single O-ring and poppet permutation, I finally got the keg to stop hissing like a pissed off snake. I tested it with Star-San to make sure.

The real question here is this: What do I need to do for next time to make sure that I don't have this issue again? Do I just need to fiddle around with it again until it works? Because "tighten it down until your hands cramp" doesn't seem like a very good solution...

Thanks!

where was it leaking? around the base of the post, or around the poppet (the center piece that depresses)? somewhere else?

My most common leak area is the main cover. If I don't get it seated properly, I have a small hiss. Where was your leaking?

Yep. Post base. Right where the base meets the keg. Seemed like the post was too short or something, but it was the same size as the posts on my other keg. Its strange how it suddenly sealed after trying for 45 minutes of trying the same thing over and over.

There's little more frustrating than going to pull a pint and discovering that a small leak drained your CO2, and now you're out the money for a new fill and can't even pour yourself a pint!

Now, after the kegs are carbonated (and here's the part relevant to the OP), I have resigned to close the valve on the CO2 bottle after pouring a few. Haven't lost a CO2-fill since..

I've never had to do anything unusual to get solid seals on keg posts, but I did receive a keg that had a gas dip tube with a cracked flange, and that post would bubble the Star San. Once I replaced the dip tube it was nice and tight.

Assuming your keg holds up 'til it kicks, next chance you get, pull the post, remove the dip tube, and give it a good eye-balling, looking for cracks or distortion. And use Keg Lube on both the dip tube O-ring and the post threads when you put it all back together...

Cheers!

Cool, I'll give it a look. I figured since I bought these from kegconnection I wouldn't have a problem with something being damaged. I guess things can slip through the cracks, though.

Back