fix for a leaky ale pail? and re pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattiemo

Reaction score
After a couple days of my first batch of beer my airlock showed no signs of action reading "how to brew" it mentioned that if nothing happened in 48 hrs you should re pitch. (my first pitch was dry yeast sprinkled on top and mixed in) i opened the pail trying to be as sanitary as possible. there was almost no foam on top. so i re pitched it following the instructions on the pack 1/3 cup water etc. after all that it occurred to me while i was cleaning the pail it leaked a little bit which will prevent the airlock from bubbling.
does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the leak for my next batch? and will re pitching have any negative effects assuming i didn't contaminate the batch?
Thanks

Your beer will be fine, be patient with it. Wait for fermentation to start.

About your leak and airlock, I don't understand where the leak is - usually I think of the leak being around the lid, that the lid doesn't seal on airtight - is that what you mean? In any case, you don't need to fix it, the airlock doesn't need to bubble, its just a release valve for any built up gases to vent out, nothing more.

Cheers!

I had the same issue with my Ale Pail. I bought a roll of 3/8" round closed cell insulation, cut it in half length-wise and forced it into the lid with a popsicle stick. Don't stretch it or it will shrink back and leave a gap. It will be real hard to get on the bucket the first few times but it definitely seals it.

thanks for the quick replay.
yes the leak is somewhere between the lid and the bucket. i was thinking a gasket of some sort. being new to this it would be nice to be able to see some kind of action from the air lock instead if it leaking out so i dont have to wait 3-4 weeks to find out i screwed up some where. although if this batch turns out good i wont have nearly the concern for the next batch i will just leave it.
thanks again

well i don't know if i didn't have the lid on tight enough or if it was the re pitching but it is bubbling away pretty good (about 4 hours after re pitching)
thanks again

Only way to truely tell if your beer has fermented is using a hydromoter and checking the OG against a current SG. If tehre is a drop then yes it is fermenting.

Ale pales are notorious for leaky rim seals. This is OK for the beer as nothing will get inside. If tehre is a krausesn, it is fermenting.

If the leaky lid really bothers you, you could go with a carboy or better bottle, with a stopper and airlock - no leaks. And you'd be able to see the fermentation activity.

A leaky lid isn't a problem. It doesn't matter if the CO2 is exiting through the air lock or around the edges.

72 hours isn't excessive for a fermentation to start.

Don't worry about fixing it. An airtight seal is not necessary. The lid needs to act primarily as a means of keeping nasty stuff from falling into the beer. Which your lid will do just fine. Some people here just use aluminum foil to cover the bucket.

And before revvy gets to it - airlock activity is not an indication of fermentation or lack thereof. Some really active fermentation will happen quickly and you won't notice it, others may take several days to really start going. A hydrometer is the only way to truly know if fermentation is taking place.

RDWHAHB! My airlocks only bubble under the most vigorous fermenting.

And before revvy gets to it - airlock activity is not an indication of fermentation or lack thereof. Some really active fermentation will happen quickly and you won't notice it, others may take several days to really start going. A hydrometer is the only way to truly know if fermentation is taking place.

Since you already did it, I don't have to.....

You have done well Padwan. ;)

The leaky lid isn't a concern. It's still going to ferment and turn out fine. Your beer isn't a Class 1 clean-room. When I began brewing, I quickly realized my sanitation was actually "over sanitation" so don't be worried about anything getting in.
A bubbling airlock is really nice though. Check inside the lid to make sure the seal is intact. If it really concerns you, you can buy a new lid for about $3. Keep the old one if you ever get another bucket fermenter.

Back