Fix a stucky Chugger pump motor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1amberrenae

Reaction score
I've taken the impeller and housing off. I plug it in, it spins a half an inch then just stops. I can manually spin the magnet cup but it feels tight and rough. My guess is maybe some wort got in the fan and made it sticky but I sprayed a little cleaner to loosen it up but it didn't help. Not sure what else it could be or if I should try to take it the motor apart. Any ideas?

Right. If you cannot spin the motor and magnet without crunchy or grindy noises that's the place to start.
Alignment of the whole wet end is a pita but is necessary.

Cheers!

Thanks! It doesn't make noise but more of a resistance to me spinning it. Doesnt feel smooth. When on, just hums since its not spinning but trying.

I have the whole housing off to remove possible alignment issues and it still won't spin (only half an inch) then except for manually spinning.

Ugh. I remember Walt aka Mister March Pump would offer to take similarly afflicted pumps in to fix alignment issues. iirc the actual metal motor frame can be knocked out of the ability to align the root pump housing but he could fix that kind of problem...

Ugh. I really hope it's not that. But was considering taking the motor apart. Just doesn't seem as simple as the taking the impeller apart and not finding anything online.

I've caught people mentioning oil so I am actually looking that up now so I can oil it. I've had it a year, never oiled it yet. It wasn't a slow deterioration to stop working. It worked great one day and then a week later, it didn't budge. Thats why i could only think maybe wort got in there but seems like it would take alot of wort to do that. I dont hear the fans in the back making contact.

Oil the motor shafts and clean the impeller with hot water.
Dry and spray with DiElectric.
What parts do I do spray with dielectric? Looking at what this is, I am guessing the electrical components in the motor housing. This right?

I'm with Bobby-M. The magnet on the motor shaft should free spin very easily with the housing off. It being "tight and ruff" sure sounds like the bearings are the issue.

First I'd check the fan blades to make sure none are hitting the housing. Chugger has a video show how to do this with a screw driver.

Here's where I warn you that I'm not afraid to take things apart and trouble shoot. If you are not comfortable doing this skip to the next paragraph. Second, I'd hit the local auto parts store and get electrical connector cleaner and some 3-1 oil. I'd pull the housing off the motor. To get a better look at the bearings. I'd clean and oil the bearings. I'd inspect any contacts for corrosion and clean as needed. I'd reassemble and rotate the shaft by hand feeling if there was any improvement.

Or you can just oil the bearings through the oil hole rotating the shaft by hand. And, hopefully you will feel the bearings free up and the shaft will free spin.

I'm with Bobby-M. The magnet on the motor shaft should free spin very easily with the housing off. It being "tight and ruff" sure sounds like the bearings are the issue.

First I'd check the fan blades to make sure none are hitting the housing. Chugger has a video show how to do this with a screw driver.

Here's where I warn you that I'm not afraid to take things apart and trouble shoot. If you are not comfortable doing this skip to the next paragraph. Second, I'd hit the local auto parts store and get electrical connector cleaner and some 3-1 oil. I'd pull the housing off the motor. To get a better look at the bearings. I'd clean and oil the bearings. I'd inspect any contacts for corrosion and clean as needed. I'd reassemble and rotate the shaft by hand feeling if there was any improvement.

Or you can just oil the bearings through the oil hole rotating the shaft by hand. And, hopefully you will feel the bearings free up and the shaft will free spin.
My family laughs that they would find me as a wee child taking apart household items just to put them back together. 🤣
I've been searching for a diagram or other to show how to take the housing off the motor. I see clips on the back of the housing. But that doesnt seem like enough to get the housing off the fan and shaft. I see the two nuts on the shaft, one at the magnet motor and one in front of the fan blade. Will these three places get me to the bearings? The 3-1 oil should arrive today.

Back