Five Star Beer stone remover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To.hender

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

After I brewed a NEIPA this last weekend I found, after cleaning with PBW, some scale in my dip tubes and counter flow chiller. I got a tip it might be beerstone. So, I've ordered a bottle of Five star Beer stone remover. Has anyone got any experience with it?

I can't find out what temperature of water I need to mix it with for it to be most effective. On the bottle it just say (...) mix in water. Anyone know what is best here?

All the best,

Marius

1.jpg

2.jpg

I’ve used it. It works as advertised.

However, you can get a cheaper solution in the form of milkstone remover from tractor supply. milkstone and beer stone are the same: calcium oxalate. $15 a gallon of concentrate vs $10 for 8 oz concentrate.

but if you switch from PBW to B-Brite you won’t have to get the acid. B-Brite will dissolve beerstone with a warm soak.

Last edited:
I’ve used it. It works as advertised.

However, you can get a cheaper solution in the form of milkstone remover from tractor supply. milkstone and beer stone are the same: calcium oxalate. $15 a gallon of concentrate vs $10 for 8 oz concentrate.

but if you switch from PBW to B-Brite you won’t have to get the acid. B-Brite will dissolve beerstone with a warm soak.

I've already got some on the way, but thanks for the tip about the milkstone remover.

What temperature of water did you use, and what was your contact time?

B-Brite sounds awesome. I can't get it in Norway, so would have to buy it online. I'll check it out if the beer stone remover is not a success.

I didn’t realize you are not in the US. Here we have farm stores called ‘Tractor Supply’. They carry the milkstone remover. I use 1 oz in 6 US gal of warm 120*F water to soak equipment in for ~30 min or so. Longer for heavy build up. Maybe Norway has dairy supply stores where you can get milkstone remover. It’s a lot cheaper here.

I don’t recall the usage rate Five Star BS remover but I image the Directions will be on the bottle.

I've used the Beerstone remover on a fermenter - didn't help. Ended up tossing the fermenter (it had other issues in addition to a large salt build-up.

Have you tried vinegar to get rid of the salt deposits. Vinegar needs to be hot to work (about 80 - 90 C).

So, I tried the beer stone remover. Did not work. Vinegar, is that the 35 % one? How would you mix it?

Someone said Citric acid might do the trick as well.

I have had some spots that required three applications of full strength BS remover to clean. I followed the instructions of letting it dry, then sanitizing, each time.

I have had some spots that required three applications of full strength BS remover to clean. I followed the instructions of letting it dry, then sanitizing, each time.

1 oz per gallon? What temp, and for how long did you do it?

I used it undiluted at room temperature for 10 minutes. Wearing a glove I would take a BS remover soaked paper towel and scrape the spot after 10 minutes. Then let it dry and wipe with star san soaked cloth. Repeat as needed

Does anyone know if beer stone remover is safe to use on electronic etching? Which acids is it made of?

Back