Fittings for welded keg conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I am going to be converting 3 kegs into a BK, MLT, HLT, I want all three to be identical so they can all be used as either, BK, MLT, HLT. I am assuming that I would use a SS coupler for the ball valve, sight glass, and thermo.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, or if you have any info, or better ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

Yes.

Purchase them from McMaster Carr. Now keep in mind that the "short" couplers are only threaded on one side. Generally SS welders like atleast 1/4" of material to weld on so the threads to not ruin as the couplings are welded to the kettle.

If you wish to utilize both sides of the couplers make sure they have thread outside and inside for threading two items one on each end (ball valve and siphon back to back)

The sightglass couplers are generally smaller NPT. For the ball valves 1/2" FNPT is common. I got some sightglasses from Bobby_M and are really happy with them.

bargainfittings.com is a decently priced place for all the hardware you will need. I use them quite often.

yes you are correct ,the ones I used are 316 ss but I`m sure 304 is good enough.

Just try to avoid the cast ones with raised numbers on them for welding as you`ll probably have to grind the numbers off anyways.

as for the sight glass ,you can split a coupler in half as you wouldn`t need the inside thread and ya get two for the price of one.

Most of my couplings in my kegs are full 1/2" couplings, even if I was putting in something smaller. Keeping everything 1/2", then using a hex bushing to reduce gives flexibility in case you decide to use the port for something else... i.e. right now you might want to use a 1/4" NPT RTD probe, but in a year you might want to use a sensor that is 1/2" NPT and you'd be stuck.

Good luck!

My keggles have 18 welded couplings:

70fb7b4eaa94c28a3e040a0a955ba22f.jpg

Yeah I agree. Do the full 1/2" coupling everywhere so you don't have to backtrack later.
I got a 1/2" MPT 2.5" pipe piece mounted to mine before I knew better. Then I needed coupling on the inside to do a diptube and I had to have it cut out and re-welded with coupling.

bargainfittings.com is a decently priced place for all the hardware you will need. I use them quite often.

I have used him for some weldless stuff, and I too was very satisfied, the prices are competetive.

Most of my couplings in my kegs are full 1/2" couplings, even if I was putting in something smaller. Keeping everything 1/2", then using a hex bushing to reduce gives flexibility in case you decide to use the port for something else... i.e. right now you might want to use a 1/4" NPT RTD probe, but in a year you might want to use a sensor that is 1/2" NPT and you'd be stuck.

Good luck!

My keggles have 18 welded couplings:

70fb7b4eaa94c28a3e040a0a955ba22f.jpg

Nice Brew rig!!! Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of going all 1/2" just to make it uniform.

Yeah I agree. Do the full 1/2" coupling everywhere so you don't have to backtrack later.
I got a 1/2" MPT 2.5" pipe piece mounted to mine before I knew better. Then I needed coupling on the inside to do a diptube and I had to have it cut out and re-welded with coupling.

I planned on making sure everything was threaded on both sides, also was going to have the couplers welded 1/2 in and 1/2 out.

Latest posts

Back