Fish Tank and fish keeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailingeric

Beer. Now there's a temporary solution
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here keep fish? My wife and I do have a small pond that has been running great for couple months but a raccoon in the area has turned it into an all you can eat buffet so we have decided to bring them inside so I got a 75 gallon tank over the weekend, great deal from Craiglist. I am in the process of setting it up so I can put the fish in it and eventually want do salt water.

I've had saltwater since the 80's. In the 2000's, I started adding corals (lighting and live rock and understanding proper filtration allowed me to have some success).

Giant money pit. My fish seem to live forever, so I must be doing something right. Corals go gangbuster for a while, then crash. That's a different story.

I have a 50G tank with African Cichlids. I am about to sacrifice one of the damn things to the fish gods! He's getting too aggressive and has already killed a few of his tank mates. Cichlids are pretty but can get unruly if the tank doesn't have the right stock/balance.

I've had saltwater since the 80's. In the 2000's, I started adding corals (lighting and live rock and understanding proper filtration allowed me to have some success).

Giant money pit. My fish seem to live forever, so I must be doing something right. Corals go gangbuster for a while, then crash. That's a different story.
Did the same thing, salt water reef tank since the early 80's, started with a 10 gallon, and eventually moved up to a 225.

Finally sold it all last year, making beer is much cheaper than keeping a reef tank!!

Did the same thing, salt water reef tank since the early 80's, started with a 10 gallon, and eventually moved up to a 225.

Finally sold it all last year, making beer is much cheaper than keeping a reef tank!!

Yeah, that is what I have read. I will be piecing together the equipment needed as so not to anger SWMBO.

Anyone here keep fish? My wife and I do have a small pond that has been running great for couple months but a raccoon in the area has turned it into an all you can eat buffet so we have decided to bring them inside so I got a 75 gallon tank over the weekend, great deal from Craiglist. I am in the process of setting it up so I can put the fish in it and eventually want do salt water.

What have you tried to keep the critters away? Water scarecrow? You'll be able to enjoy your fish indoors. Keeping koi and other pond fish is relatively easy, but a gorgeous marine set up is going to cost you, just like Passedpawn says. I might add that when you have a death in the marine tank it really hurts. 😢

I have used some the pepper based animal repellent and have been attack free for a couple weeks. What the raccoon(s) has been enjoying has been the Japanese trap door snails I had in there. I suspect the fish might have been a victim of opportunity. If I have no more issues while my tank cycles I my convince the wife to keep the goldfish outside and get some tetras or something similar for inside.

I have a 50G tank with African Cichlids. I am about to sacrifice one of the damn things to the fish gods! He's getting too aggressive and has already killed a few of his tank mates. Cichlids are pretty but can get unruly if the tank doesn't have the right stock/balance.

I have an african tank as well, with one a-hole fish left. He killed all the others in the tank, thinking I should sacrifice him and start over

Back