First yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzbrew

Reaction score
I plan on making a 2l yeast starter for a 11 gallon batch of beer. I am using the Wyeast trappist yeast. I have to split my wort into 2 fermentation buckets. I do not have a stir plate for my flask yet. How long should I let the yeast do its thing before I pitch into the wort? Also what is the best way of dividing up the starter to go into the 2 buckets?

Without a stir plate I'd do 2 days in the starter. If its just the same beer you are dividing into 2 batches but using the same yeast then cool down your wort, and shake up the starter before pouring into the kettle. Just make sure you stir it up real well before separation into your 2 buckets. Thats what I do.

Alright thanks. I plan on building a stir plate eventually. My LHS only had 1 package of the yeast I wanted so decided to get a flask to make a starter with. 5 gallons of trappist just goes way to fast.

Oh I understand that! That's why I only do 10g batches. It really doesn't take me but an hour longer than a 5 g batch. Depending on how high you gravity is you may want to make a larger one than 2l. Before stir plates I just used a 1 gal jug for my starters with about 3/4 way full. I would usually make them about 3 days before and pour off some off the fermented beer as the yeast settled down to save space.

Back