First Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunrunner

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a German Pils in a few days and made a starter for the first time. I have under pitched in the past with good (lucky) out come. I am useing WL WLP830 German Lager yeast. I made a 2 liter starter with around 1/2# DME. I pitched one vial into my starter and have two more vials.

My question is should I add another vial or two to the starter or just pitch the two vials when I pitch the starter? Should I make a second starter?The reason I ask is that the exp date on the yeast is 1-28-12 and that would put production date of 9-28-12 and Mr. Malty calls for 5.76 liter starter or 8 vilas for 364 billion yeast cells.

My og of the lager is 1.052 I did not take a og of the starter. I am not useing a stir plate just going to shake it as much as possible. I am keeping the starter at lager ferm temps, I think that is correct due to you want your new yeast be the same as when you pitch.

Back