first yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSbrewer

Reaction score
We decided to make another beer, but had already prepared the yeast starter. How long will the yeast starter last and are there any special instructions in order to save it?

How long do you need to keep your starter? Is it going to be a while before you brew that beer?

I'm no expert, but I think it should keep for at least a week or so in the fridge. It wouldn't be any different than buying some yeast at the store and then keeping it in the fridge for a little while before you brew. I'm sure some more experienced folks around here could provide more insight.

From Wyeast's website:

Timing of Starter:
Because starters are inoculated at high cell densities, growth is usually maximized within 24-36 hours. The gravity of the starter should always be checked prior to inoculation into wort to assure proper cell growth . Cultures should be used immediately, or refrigerated for up to 1 week before using. Cell viability will decrease rapidly if culture are left at ambient temperatures for extended time.

Back