First Yeast Starter Fiasco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secinarot

Reaction score
I am in the process of brewing an IPA recipe and used a yeast starter for the first time. I am now in day 3 of fermentation and am not seeing the normal signs of fermentation that I have had with past brews. There was no bubbling in the blowoff for the first few days and then I swirled up the yeast and then got some light bubbling for about 12 hours and then today the bubbling stopped.

I am thinking it's time to test the gravity but I don't want to open the fermenter until I check with the forum to see if anyone has any other ideas.

Some facts: I used 2 qt starter with 8 oz. of DME, White Labs California Ale yeast. Having no experience with yeast starters, I'm not sure if started properly. There was no krausen or signs of fermentation activity but I read that it was normal not to see that. I did see yeast at the bottom of the container and there was foam but that was after I shook it to aerate. In any event, I let it go for 2 days at room temp and then cooled for 24 hours to drop the yeast out so I could decant. On brew day I let the container of yeast come up to temp, but I think it was a little cool when I pitched it. I also decanted some of the wort off but not that much.

Any help is appreciated.

I have noticed that a blowoff tube sometimes either doesn't seal well at the grommet or it doesn't produce a lot of visible bubbling. Pull the blowoff tube out and put an airlock on and see if you see visible bubbling. After 3 days if you haven't had a blowoff you probably arent' going to have one...

I have noticed that a blowoff tube sometimes either doesn't seal well at the grommet or it doesn't produce a lot of visible bubbling. Pull the blowoff tube out and put an airlock on and see if you see visible bubbling. After 3 days if you haven't had a blowoff you probably arent' going to have one...

Good call! I just swapped out the blowoff tube for an airlock - steady bubble stream!

Well, I know from experience it's better to be safe than sorry and use a blow-off tube rather than an air lock. Well here is a little contraption the guys at the LHBS showed me. Just saw or break off the the bottom prongs of the air lock and attach a hose. I'm not sure what size hose it is, but your LHBS should have one that will fit. You get a perfect seal every time.

Happy Brewing,
Jacob

DSC09543.jpg

DSC09542.jpg

Well, I know from experience it's better to be safe than sorry and use a blow-off tube rather than an air lock. Well here is a little contraption the guys at the LHBS showed me. Just saw or break off the the bottom prongs of the air lock and attach a hose. I'm not sure what size hose it is, but your LHBS should have one that will fit. You get a perfect seal every time.

Happy Brewing,
Jacob

DSC09543.jpg

DSC09542.jpg

That's pretty much the same blowoff setup that I have. Only difference being that my blowoff tube fits inside of the airlock tube as opposed to over it the way your picture shows. I think the problem was where the airlock shaft fits into the grommet. When the tube hangs down the side of the fermenter, the weight of it pulls on the airlock and tilts it to the side. I think that's where I was getting air leakage.

In any event, I am happy to see those bubbles and knowing that I have fermentation going on.

I know exactly what you mean about the weight making leverage against the grommet on the fermenter. I kinda rig mine up with a couple of zip ties so it doesn't lean so much. Well no matter how its rigged, at least yours is working. When I make starters, I have a 2000 ml flask with a stopper and an air lock. You don't typically need a blow off for a starter unless you're making it in a small container ya know. As long as you have about 3-4 inches from the lid an air lock should be good.

Back