First wort hopping vs hop bursting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenlaplaca

Reaction score
I have been reading article after article about first wort hopping. It sounds just like hop bursting. Am I crazy to think that I will get the same end result. Big hop taste and low bitterness? Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks

They're completely different. FWH may give you a bit of flavor, although this is debatable. It will mainly contribute bitterness (it is a bittering addition). I would not rely on it for flavor and aroma.

Hop bursting will give you some bitterness depending on the timing and size of additions, but is a good way to add flavor and aroma to the beer.

I have been reading article after article about first wort hopping. It sounds just like hop bursting. Am I crazy to think that I will get the same end result. Big hop taste and low bitterness? Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks

They're completely different. FWH may give you a bit of flavor, although this is debatable. It will mainly contribute bitterness (it is a bittering addition). I would not rely on it for flavor and aroma.

Hop bursting will give you some bitterness depending on the timing and size of additions, but is a good way to add flavor and aroma to the beer.

I plan to try it next brew day, and I've read that FWH takes the edge off of the bittering. I've not seen any scientific data yet, so YMMV.

On very hop forward beers I do both. They are different methods and have different results. I have even done FWH and whirlpool, using no hop additions during the actual boil.

On very hop forward beers I do both. They are different methods and have different results. I have even done FWH and whirlpool, using no hop additions during the actual boil.

Me too!

I really like the "less harsh" bitterness that I pick up in my FWH beers. It still has plenty of bitterness, as it provides a bit more IBUs to the beer, but to me it is a smoother bitterness.

Other brewers don't like the FWH beers as much in beers like IPAs, since they should be firmly bitter. It really depends on your palate I suppose.

According to beer smith I will get lots of ibu's either way. I have done hop bursting and got lots of hop taste.

I experimented with FWH and went back to 60 minute boil additions. The FWH was too smooth for me, I was missing that bitterness "bite".
Try it and see which way you prefer.

Love FWH and hop bursting methods (which indeed are totally different things), although for that classic firm bitterness Yoop mentioned, the old 60 minute addition works well. Used it in an India Red recently and glad I did.

For any of you whirlpoolers, do you think that is a solid replacement for dry hopping? Don't want to derail the topic, but I think we answered the initial question.

Do both, that's the best way. I know, because I drink beer that I make at home.

I also do both for my bitter beers. Even big stouts I love to fwh. It gives it a nice round bitterness which I think blends well with the darker malts. I get plenty of hop bite in my ipas too.

Hop bursting/ whirlpooling is awesome. Since I started doing it I haven't stopped it in my ipas. I love the resin and nose it adds.

Love FWH and hop bursting methods (which indeed are totally different things), although for that classic firm bitterness Yoop mentioned, the old 60 minute addition works well. Used it in an India Red recently and glad I did.

For any of you whirlpoolers, do you think that is a solid replacement for dry hopping? Don't want to derail the topic, but I think we answered the initial question.

No. I still think you get a big nose from dry hopping. More so than not and just doing a whirlpool. I have noticed I don't have to use as much dry hops but a huge hop nose isn't a bad thing in the right style so I do both in that case.

I will have to agree with bobeer that you still get a big nose from dry hopping. When I use hop bursting, I usually do not use as much hops in the dry hopping.

I do the FWH with most of my APAs which seems to definitely smooth out the bitterness. it just depends on the style that you are brewing and which method you will use.

Thanks guys I always appreciate the feedback of my brewing buds out here on HBT.

I do both...FWH and whirlpool. I would agree that FWH seems to give a smoother bitterness.

Haha... I'll jump on the bandwagon because I just brewed up an IPA with first wort and hopbursting and I'm planning on tossing in a few dry hops as well ;)

First wort hopping was originally intended to reduce the amount of hot break in the boiler. There are other benefits, as well. Perhaps brewers who use FHW, and who also skim off the results of the hot break, are producing a cleaner product. The small amounts of hops used in FWH are not likely to contribute to bitterness.

What is hop bursting? There's a local brewery around here that advertises hop bursting. I was thinking it was just a gimmick like 'triple hopped.'

I'm familiar with FWH.

disregard my last post. I figured it out.

My club has done hop bursting before but we didn't know the terminology. We did it to get rid of the resiny texture to big IPAs. Worked pretty good.

Latest posts

Back