First Wort Hopping vs. Flavor Addition vs. Whirlpool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am brewing an American Amber Ale and I am playing around with the hop schedule and I am trying to tweak my hop flavor profile. In doing some research, I have read that both first wort hopping and whirlpooling allow for an extraction of hop flavor. However, I was wondering if this meant that I could do a first wort hop addition and a whirlpool addition and skip a flavor addition at 15 minutes and still get an assertive enough hop flavor. Thanks for the help!

FWH is not going to give you much flavor. However, extended whirlpool addition will give both flavor and aroma. Some people have gone to just whirlpool additions for their late hops. I still toss some inn at 10 minutes, but my whirlpool addition is my biggest. i let the wort coo to 175 before adding the hops and leave it for 30 to 60 minutes before cooling further.

First wort hops WILL give flavor because it's in there before the boil and stays there for the whole time. I do it. Craft Beer and Brewing was just discussing this in an article.

I thought once you boiled wort with hops in it past 25 minutes or so, the flavour goes out. Those particular oils are boiled off.

IDK what to think about FWH additions. Some calculators say you get more IBUs than a 60-minute boil addition, some say you get less.

More science needed, IMHO.

I FWH almost everything. Mostly because I'm lazy and just toss them into the kettle while running off. Makes life easier.

For flavor and aroma, the best is whirlpooling. It gets expensive though. Lol!

Is there such thing as FWH with BIAB? If so, I think I did it... when I made the Centennial Blonde, after I lifted the grain-bag & was letting it drain, I tossed the first charge of hops in the pot & turned the heat on to get things going.

Is there such thing as FWH with BIAB? If so, I think I did it... when I made the Centennial Blonde, after I lifted the grain-bag & was letting it drain, I tossed the first charge of hops in the pot & turned the heat on to get things going.

That's it. On the extreme end I've talked about putting hops in under the bag while still mashing but haven't really had the time to experiment with it.

First wort hops WILL give flavor because it's in there before the boil and stays there for the whole time. I do it. Craft Beer and Brewing was just discussing this in an article.

Believe what you want. I FWH a lot because I like the bittering, but in my personal experience, it produces little flavor. If you get any flavor from it, think of it as a bonus, but don't rely on it to provide any.

Yes, you FWH'd.

Back