First wort hop addition, what hop to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HemanBrew

Reaction score
Hi.

If I want to try first wort hop addition, what hop should I use? Normally I use Magnum for bittering. Should I use that or is the whole point of firs wort to use more flavored hops, maybe Citra or Cascade or Mosaic?

Any ideas or wisdom to share?

I would stick with Magnum. FWH are supposed to give you a smoother/less harsh bitterness. I don't think you get much flavor from the process so I'd save your Citra, Cascade and Mosaic for later in the boil.

Hi.

If I want to try first wort hop addition, what hop should I use? Normally I use Magnum for bittering. Should I use that or is the whole point of firs wort to use more flavored hops, maybe Citra or Cascade or Mosaic?

Any ideas or wisdom to share?
Hi HermanBrew,
Here`s my ten bob`s worth ; I`d personally use a beautifull LOW ALPHA like Hallertau / Saazer etc etc for a Neutral and balanced Bitterness and then Flavour in a HOP BACK VESSEL @ PITCHING HEAT for a 1/2 - 3/4 Hour stand , then STRAIN OFF HOPS/ FILTER and send to an FV and Pitch with yeast , for my money FAR TOO MUCH HOP CHARACTER is lost during Primary attenuation to make the use of Hops as a Flavouring , then dependant on what you`ve brewed and , when you expect to drink it , Pop the more Modern US / Australian / New Zealand etc Hops at the required rate into the container you`ll serve from and mature at the relevant temp , for my money Short Term Ales @ 10 c 1 Month on - 4.25 % abv and 2.5 above , up to 6 % .
Hope that helps ,
Cheers ,
Edd

I would stick with Magnum. FWH are supposed to give you a smoother/less harsh bitterness. I don't think you get much flavor from the process so I'd save your Citra, Cascade and Mosaic for later in the boil.

Agreed id save the citra, cascade and mosaic for the late hop addition. Depends what style of beer you making and what type of hop flavor you are going for at the end of the day. No rules though, sometimes when I have hops lying around I add them in just to experiment. What you going for?

+1 to what was already said since a smoother bitterness is what you should taste. Just like a 60 minute addition most if not all of the flavor will be driven off so whatever you would normally use is fine.

Agreed id save the citra, cascade and mosaic for the late hop addition. Depends what style of beer you making and what type of hop flavor you are going for at the end of the day. No rules though, sometimes when I have hops lying around I add them in just to experiment. What you going for?
Hi Brewbuilder19 ,
I meant use Saazer etc in the Boil , with NO Modern Hops ; then
AFTER Primary attenuation when racking to container , then add the Modern Hops ,
Regards ,
Edd

Latest posts

Back