First World Brewer Problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGuy716

Reaction score
I want to brew but it's too nice out.

My brew set up is still indoors on the kitchen stove. So my problem is I only have weekends to brew and so far weekends have been nice causing me to spend all my time outside or I don't have the ingredients ready. So I'm going to be getting the ingredients for a mead so that given a rainy Saturday I can brew some of that up.

However, I still want to brew a Kolsch and have it ready before the leaves start changing. My question is: How long will grain stay fresh? I'm thinking of buying the ingredients and storing it until there is a poopy day, but I don't want to have it go to waste.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I do this also. I keep my grains cool and dry and my hops sealed and in the freezer. I buy liquid yeast on brew day from the lhbs. I've had no problems storing like this for several months before brew day.

I recently switched from indoor brewing to outdoor, and the only major thing s I had to buy were a cheap ($30) turkey fryer burner from Academy and a tank of propane. Definitely worth the investment for me. And when you're done, just blast everything with the hose!

I recently switched from indoor brewing to outdoor, and the only major thing s I had to buy were a cheap ($30) turkey fryer burner from Academy and a tank of propane. Definitely worth the investment for me. And when you're done, just blast everything with the hose!

I've been thinking of switching over to outdoor and getting the turkey frier due to the fact I got a bigger pot that I can do full boils. My kitchen stove can get it to a boil but it does take awhile. How long does it take to get a boil rolling?

I store my hops in zip lock freezer bags on that lil shelf above the ice maker. Still in their sealed packets as well. Sealed grain bags,LME & yeasts go in thefridge. As well as jars of washed yeast. They'll kep for a month or two easily till brew day.

I've been thinking of switching over to outdoor and getting the turkey frier due to the fact I got a bigger pot that I can do full boils. My kitchen stove can get it to a boil but it does take awhile. How long does it take to get a boil rolling?

Takes around 15-20 minutes? I wasn't really timing it, so I don't know for sure. It would depend on the output of your fryer, but I like the one I bought for the price. Might even get a second one, so I can get the water boiling while steeping my specialty grains.

I got aftermarket burners for our electric stove from amazon. Link in my profile. I can get 3.5 gallons of wort from mash temp to boiling in about 18 minutes with them.:mug:

I want to brew but it's too nice out.

My brew set up is still indoors on the kitchen stove. So my problem is I only have weekends to brew and so far weekends have been nice causing me to spend all my time outside or I don't have the ingredients ready. So I'm going to be getting the ingredients for a mead so that given a rainy Saturday I can brew some of that up.

However, I still want to brew a Kolsch and have it ready before the leaves start changing. My question is: How long will grain stay fresh? I'm thinking of buying the ingredients and storing it until there is a poopy day, but I don't want to have it go to waste.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I'm on the other end of the stick.
I have a 10gal setup and can only brew outdoors. So when the weather sucks, I can't brew and wanna start a smaller setup to brew test batches in the kitchen on those days.

The problem is,... Mrs. Bob doesn't approve of my messin' up her kitchen.:confused:

pb

Back