First wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoatsAndBrews

Reaction score
So I've been liking the wheat beers for drinking on hot days and I'd like to try my hand at making one. I've been brewing for 2 years know (all grain) and I am just curious if there is anything different to making wheat beers vs barley. Any input would be great, tips, links, encouraging words, dos and donts, etc... Thank you.

rice hulls my friend. they keep your mash nice and loose for sparging. also, do get discouraged by the sulfer smell you will prob get in primary, its normal for a lot of belgian/german wheats. only use a primary they are typically cloudy and i like to drink young.

Kolsch yeast is an excellent choice for wheat beer. I make a lot of them. I don't use rice hulls personally, but the mash does get a little sticky sometimes and could cause problems depending on the recipe and your system.

I just brewed my first AG hef last week, added rice hulls with no issues. My previous AG (Red Ale) did get a bit stuck so I believe the rice hulls helped.

Loved my extract batches of Hef so much couldn't wait to give an AG batch a go

Don't wait, you won't regret it
Toy4Rick

Another vote for rice hulls and the german or belgian yeast strains can definitely create some funky smell during fermentation, but you can turn these around quick as they are best young when made properly.

Also with wheat in your grain bill, do a 90 minute mash. You'll be rewarded.

@loubrew13, 90 minutes? First time I gave heard that, I am 35 minutes into a boil on a honey weizen, wish I read it earlier. What has it done fir your brews? My new mash tun only lost 1.5 degrees on my mash, could have gone longer.

It's for better conversion so I'm told. But good luck with your brew day. And enjoy.

Back