First Wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYeric

Reaction score
I want to make a Heffe style brew.

I have a Wheat Beer Recipe, and want to know what you think.

3.3lbs Wheat Syrup extract
3lbs Muntons dry Wheat DME
1/2 lb malted wheat
2 0z Tettnang hops

Bring grain to boil and remove grains
Add extracts and 10z hops 20 min boil...add the second oz boil additional 20 min
Cool and pitch yeast

I have a vile of WLP300 Heffeweisen yeast...

What do you think???

Sounds good.

We just did something similar, but boiled 1oz of Hallertauer Mittelfrau in half the total ME for 60 min and added the rest of the ME at the finish. You might get a lighter color and more aroma out of the hops.

We were drinking ours in 8 or 9 days, and it was fantastic.

WLP300 rocks out.

Moon

Really 8 or 9 days?

I was thinking a week in the primary, a week in the secondary, and a week in the bottle....Should I do anything different?

be careful with WLP300...... Can get crazy. When mine started to ferment, it poped the top off my airlock and made a heck of a mess!! I am bottling it this weekend. tasted last night.... Yummy!!

With WLP300 needs a blow off, no questions. Mine spent 14 days in the primary before it was completed... then straight to bottles. Dont secondary your heffe, there is simply no need and wheats are best when they are young beers. Enjoy

I am using an "ale pail" I would rather not make the hole larger for a blow off tube. Will I be ok with a three piece air lock?

I am clueless what the OG and FG will be

Use the 3 piece airlock, but take off the lid and the little bobbing cap... place a 3/8" ID hose over the center tube, also cut off the bottom of the airlock stem so that there are no little holes, just a nice straight tube... use that for your blow off, it will work perfect!

Pol

NYeric said:
I want to make a Heffe style brew.

I have a Wheat Beer Recipe, and want to know what you think.

3.3lbs Wheat Syrup extract
3lbs Muntons dry Wheat DME
1/2 lb malted wheat
2 0z Tettnang hops

Bring grain to boil and remove grains
Add extracts and 10z hops 20 min boil...add the second oz boil additional 20 min
Cool and pitch yeast

I have a vile of WLP300 Heffeweisen yeast...

What do you think???

Personally I would go with all DME. I have turned against LME.

Back