First try at Hobgoblin - STAY AWAY FROM THE ROLLING PIN!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnio

Reaction score
Well, last night I gathered all the stuff to try and make some of Orfy's Hobgoblin. I was very excited, but I quickly ran into a few problems that I thought I would pass on in case other new brewers are branching out from kits.

First things first, I had a some things going in that I knew were going to be messed up, but I figured I would still give it a shot. 1) I accidentally ordered Dark DME instead of light, so my color is going to be way dark for the style. I decided taste was my concern so I didn't worry about it. 2) I could only get my hands on Chocolate Rye locally. I thought it would be ok as well and maybe add some unique character.

So here is where I ran into problems:
To crush the grain I mistakenly (1) thought the rolling pin would work fine, so I got a heavy duty ziplock. Put all my grains in the bag (2) and started rolling away. I quickly found out that the chocolate rye was pulverizing before the other grains were even cracking. I decided to add some more of the light grains to a separate bag to be able to crush them, but even they did not get a good crush with the rolling pin. Well, to add to mistakes 1 and 2 while looking back through the ratios again to try and determine how much more light grain to add I realized that I had put in too much of the chocolate rye (3). Had I not put them all in the bag together I could have rectified this, but oh well, too late now.

Other than the major issues above things went off pretty well. I was withing .002 of my SG, so that was at least close and overall the Wort still tasted good and was fermenting like mad this morning.

So, all in all I didn't brew Hobgoblin, but I think I will at least have a drinkable beer that will be somewhat remotely close to an English Bitter with a little less mouth feel and a little bit of Rye twang.

bradsul said:
The worst part is it'll probably be the best beer you'll ever make and you'll have no idea how to make it again. :D

I had that happen. My OG was undershot by about 20 points so I added some sugar immediately (not dissolved). Then during fermentation the next day, I added some boiled (and cooled) wort. The stuff was great but I wouldn't be able to recreate...

I had to make un update as I just kegged my "Hobgoblin"

Let me say that if it totally flat is any indication this beer is going to be AMAZING. Even though I did totally hose it up.

I am really excited to try the real recipe now!

Latest posts

Back