First timer, HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy1998

Reaction score
This may be somewhat pedestrian but I'm starting out by making two one gallon jugs. One uses lager yeast and ale yeast in the other. After six hours the lager yeast jug is producing so much foam that it's climbing into the airlock! What do i do?

You need to rig up a blow off tube. If you have tubing that will fit inside the airlock use it. Otherwise you'll need tubing wide enough to seal the neck of the jug. Put the other end of the tubing in some sanitizer or cheap vodka.

Alternatively you could put the jug in an ice water bath to cool it off and slow the fermentation. Sounds like your temp may be too high for a lager yeast anyway with that kind of activity.

+1 for the hot temp fermenting... Lagering is the art of cold fermenting, or fermenting at much colder temps...

For more info on how to make a blow off tube visit www.youtube.com

I always use blow off tubes when I ferment because it will permit me to fill my primary fermenter much higher, wich in comcequence gives me more beer :)

Good luck bro !!

Back