First time with Bru'n Water/Ward Labs Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDL

Reaction score
I just recently relocated to a house with a well and this is my first attempt at preparing the water for brewing. In my old house I used a Camden Tablet and allowed it to sit overnight after running it through a brita water filter (it was treated water from the city).

Was hoping to get feedback to ensure I have used my Wards Lab and Bru'n Water correctly. The recipe shown below is for a basic American Wheat beer I am going to make next.

Also any comments on my water test in general that you see, I have done a lot of reading and I think I lucked out into a pretty good source of brewing water.

The only addition I can see that is required is Lactic Acid at 1.25 mg a gallon. I am doing a full volume mash for a 5 gallon batch as well. From what I can tell it makes the sparge sheet not utilized in the calculations (maybe someone can confirm this or correct me).

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Jeff

Ward Labs Test.png

Water Report.png

Sparging.png

Grain Bill.png

Water Profile Adj.png

Was hoping to get feedback to ensure I have used my Wards Lab and Bru'n Water correctly.

Yes, you've set up Bru'n Water correctly.

Also any comments on my water test in general that you see, I have done a lot of reading and I think I lucked out into a pretty good source of brewing water. The only addition I can see that is required is Lactic Acid at 1.25 mg a gallon.

While I'm not an expert, I think your water is good for lighter styles, like lagers, wheat beers, light ales. You will have to acidify the water (which you've done) for probably all recipes due to the moderate amount of bicarbonate.

I am doing a full volume mash for a 5 gallon batch as well. From what I can tell it makes the sparge sheet not utilized in the calculations (maybe someone can confirm this or correct me).

That is correct. For full volume mashes, the sparge section of Bru'n Water will show all 0's.

Thanks for being a Supporter! I hope you like the extended capabilities of the improved tool that you support.

Yes, it appears that you've populated and employed the tool properly. It also is apparent that you have fairly hard and alkaline water that does require acidification for brewing success. While you can use lactic acid, the resulting lactate concentration from its use is getting on up there. You might have some drinkers that might pick it up in your beer. If you're happy with the result, then continue with lactic acid. But you might consider phosphoric acid as a replacement or in conjunction with the lactic acid, if you feel there are flavor effects.

A question about phosphoric acid, it seems a lot of people just use the 10% version sold in Home Brew Shops but then on brulospophy they used a 75% solution in one experiment.

I read previous posts recommending Duda Diesel as a supplier and found they have a 85% concentration.

I have never added acid yet to my water so I have neither ordered yet. Does it make more sense just to go with phosphoric acid since it does not add any flavor? The cost is negligible as this batch would use 7.5ml and the 950ml bottle is only 27 dollars shipped which would last for quiet awhile.

A final question, would it be advisable to dilute the 85% concentration or just use a syringe to get an exact amount and use as is?

Thanks again for the advice,
Jeff

Back