First time wine yeast question/advice needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CavScout

Reaction score
So I had a long bottling day and went a head with my first batch of wine. So after I had the must ready to go, turns out my digi thermometer bit the dust.

I rehydrated the yeast in warm water, not to hot to the touch and the bucket felt room temperature. Pitched the yeast and moved the bucket to a dark corner. I guess I miss judged because the bottom of the bucket still felt cold.

Instinct tells me the yeast is dead, at best I will have a stalled fermentation.

Yeast is red star premier cuvee for green apple reisling.

Any thoughts? No lhbs, everything is online for me. Should I go ahead and order another yeast packet? How long do I have to re-pitch? I know patients is key but I'll have to order the yeast online. Trying to prepare. Any input is appreciated.

Give it 2 days and if no action, add a tsp of yeast nutrient and stir it up well. If still an issue after another day it could be the yeast or possibly a PH issue. You may get some new yeast and PH strips. Potassium bicarbonate is good to get if you PH is too low. By the time your new supplies comes in if not bubbling then test the PH and if ok no lower than 3.5 then make a yeast starter. Acclimate the yeast by slowly adding more and more wine must over a several hour period and pitch that.

Give it 2 days and if no action, add a tsp of yeast nutrient and stir it up well. If still an issue after another day it could be the yeast or possibly a PH issue. You may get some new yeast and PH strips. Potassium bicarbonate is good to get if you PH is too low. By the time your new supplies comes in if not bubbling then test the PH and if ok no lower than 3.5 then make a yeast starter. Acclimate the yeast by slowly adding more and more wine must over a several hour period and pitch that.

Thanks, airlock started bubbling every 30-60 seconds today went ahead and ordered another thing of yeast where its only 69 cents. Will keep an eye on it, thanks again for the input.

I have had a couple wines take about 40 hours before I noticed any action so it is not uncommon for some recipes to start slow like that. Glad it started going with no fuss. Patience will be your friend with wines.

Back