First time water adjustment, very cloudy, normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastalbrew

Reaction score
This is my first time doing water adjustment. I am using distilled water as my base and Bru'n water for calculations. I measured out my additions and added them to my kettle. Then said to dissolve. Water is very murky. Can't see the bottom of the kettle. Is this normal? I added 1g gypsum, 1g cacl, 2g epsom salt, .5 g baking soda, and .8g picking lime to 5.5G distilled water. I'm being a rye brown ale and using the brown balanced water profile.

Thanks!

@balrog I stirred constantly for several minutes in the cold water, and it did not clear. I have started the kettle heating, but it is still under 70 f right now. Water still murky.

Some salts sink for me even as the water approaches 150-160 strike temp.
Sometimes I get hazy look that goes away as it heats
It still works. Bear in mind that I do full volume (about 7 gal) BIAB, no sparge, method.

Never had an issue with cloudy water after adding brewing salts and stirring for a few minutes...but nowadays, I just add the salts to the crushed grain and then add all at once.

I think some of those salts react with each other forming precipitate that initially looks cloudy (before it settles to the bottom). At least calcium from gypsum tends to precipitate easily in the presence of carbonate (which comes from bicarbonate/baking soda addition). This may or may not be fine, depending on what you are looking for. If you add gypsum to alkaline water it is normal to see more or less precipitation of calcium carbonate (this actually diminishes the alkalinity) but not sure if there is a good reason to cause this phenomena by all those additions.

I think some of those salts react with each other forming precipitate that initially looks cloudy (before it settles to the bottom).

I seem to recall having some initial cloudiness or precipitation when using Epsom salt, thoughbits been a long time since I used it. Everything should dissolve eventually.

Yes, some salts may take time to react further & dissolve, too. Depends on the exact case and the combination of salts that are present and temp & pH...

I've experienced murky water when I've added brewing salts for darker beers, like stouts. I believe it's the pickling lime that causes this, but the beers have all turned out great. You're good!

Same! Mine used a fair amount of CaCO3.
But CaCO3 (chalk) will never dissolve under any conditions present in brewing (it will dissociate only at an extremely low pH -- far lower than any mash could ever present or survive -- or under very high partial pressure of CO2.) It should never be used in brewing, as it will contribute neither calcium nor alkalinity. Some old homebrew books told you to add it to the mash, not the water. All this did was prevent you seeing it not dissolving, so you could stick your head in the sand and pretend it was doing something.

Pickling lime can revert to chalk in storage, but you can test it. Put a couple of drops of acid on a sample. If it bubbles at all, it is at least partly chalk and should be replaced. No bubbles, it's good, and will easily fully dissolve, contributing the expected calcium and alkalinity.

Pickling lime can revert to chalk in storage, but you can test it. Put a couple of drops of acid on a sample. If it bubbles at all, it is at least partly chalk and should be replaced. No bubbles, it's good, and will easily fully dissolve, contributing the expected calcium and alkalinity.

This is cool to know, thanks!

It's a brand new bag of picking lime, so I don't that's the case, but that's good information to know.

But CaCO3 (chalk) will never dissolve under any conditions present in brewing (it will dissociate only at an extremely low pH -- far lower than any mash could ever present or survive -- or under very high partial pressure of CO2.) It should never be used in brewing, as it will contribute neither calcium nor alkalinity. Some old homebrew books told you to add it to the mash, not the water. All this did was prevent you seeing it not dissolving, so you could stick your head in the sand and pretend it was doing something.

Great info, thanks! It's been about 2.5 years since I've used CaCO3 in a beer, as I rarely have to adjust mash pH up. I did just read a few weeks ago about CaCO3 not dissolving in water so I'll ditch it and use pickling lime from now on. Interesting about the test for chalk, too!

Back