First Time using wyeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_pwb

Reaction score
So after talking about it several times with my LHBS, I decided to take the plunge and try it out for myself. So far I have been just making the Brew House kits (next batch is gonna be all-grain, I hope), and I have been told that the fermentation of the wort using wyeast is far more vigorous than with the included Cooper's yeast. So I am wondering the best way to start this yeast, would it better to use a carboy and attach hose to my airlock to make a blow-off, or would it be better to just do it in a primary pail and risk it foaming all over the floor?

Also, my LHBS told me that I can 'reuse' the yeast for another one, maybe to kits, granted they are of similar style. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Eric

I think your LHBS just wants you buying a new smack pack for every batch you brew. So long as you're not doing something really dark and wanting to repitch on something lighter, you should be fine.

If you're worried, you might want to go ahead and use a blowoff tube for the first few days. If you're going to be around, you can probably just slap an airlock on it and then see if it starts going nuts.

What kind of beer are you brewing?

The vigor of your fermentation is dependant on several variables, one of them being the cell count of your pitched yeast. Dry yeast tends to have a higher cell count than liquid unless you make a starter. It's a pretty universal thing around here to make a starter with liquid yeast in order to get the cell count up high enough. Also, keep in mind that liquid yeast should be used within six months of production because the cell count decreases with time. The older the yeast, the more imperitive it is to make a starter.

You can certainly re-use the yeast. In fact, just tonight I washed the yeast from my last batch so I can re-use it tomorrow. There's some debate about how many times you can re-use the same yeast without worrying about generational mutations, so you might want to do some searching and decide for yourself. There's a sticky thread on this site that tells you how to wash yeast. Just do a quick search and you should be able to find it.

The vigor of your fermentation is dependant on several variables, one of them being the cell count of your pitched yeast. Dry yeast tends to have a higher cell count than liquid unless you make a starter. It's a pretty universal thing around here to make a starter with liquid yeast in order to get the cell count up high enough. Also, keep in mind that liquid yeast should be used within six months of production because the cell count decreases with time. The older the yeast, the more imperitive it is to make a starter.

You can certainly re-use the yeast. In fact, just tonight I washed the yeast from my last batch so I can re-use it tomorrow. There's some debate about how many times you can re-use the same yeast without worrying about generational mutations, so you might want to do some searching and decide for yourself. There's a sticky thread on this site that tells you how to wash yeast. Just do a quick search and you should be able to find it.

Cool... I know the yeast is pretty fresh, as the manufacture date on it is last friday, so that shouldn't be a problem.
As for a starter, is that something I should consider with this, as it the company claims "a minimum of 100 billion cells, to directly inoculate 5 gallons of standard wort."
Also, is washing a necessary step? (Normally I use the dry stuff once and dump it)

I am brewing a brewhouse kit the IPA, The brew house

and using this wyeast: Wyeast Laboratories. American Ale II™ 1272
(American Ale II)

All I know is that the LBHS swears by this stuff, they say they use each pack for 3 or 4 five gallon batches...

Thanks for your help, I think I will toss the airlock on and see how it goes.

I just brewed a blue moon clone with some WLP400, no starter, 6 gallon BB and it exploded out of my airlock. I would use a blow-off just to be safe.

Well, you CAN pitch directly into your wort if the yeast is fresh, but most agree that it's still under pitching. Check this out: Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator I always make a starter. It increases your cell count and lets you know your yeast is viable. There is a sticky for making starters, too.

Some people pitch directly on the yeast cake, so no, washing isn't necessary. I prefer it because I don't want any old hops or hot or cold break in my yeast. It doesn't take very long to do and you are less likely to carry over flavors from batch to batch. I typically do it the day before and refrigerate the sample overnight to let it separate. You can then decant the liquid off the top and pitch pure yeast slurry into the new wort. The cell count is through the roof. Watch out for blow offs if you pitch washed yeast or pitch on the yeast cake. The fermentation is awesome.

I don't make a starter unless my OG is to be over 1.06, and use Activator packs all the time.

I have vigorous fermentations, usually within 5 hours, I use a blow off EVERY time when I use a 6.5 gallon carboy. Perhaps a 7 gallon pail would make in unnecessary. I've only used carboys.

I haven't reused my yeast except to make bread. Munich Ale yeast is great for that.
I would figure on washing the yeast, who wants the last batch's trub in there? But yeast washing isn't hard.

I don't make a starter unless my OG is to be over 1.06, and use Activator packs all the time.

Well, as I said, you can but most of us don't. If you just pitch the Activator you could have a low count due to age or environmental conditions. If the yeast are all dead, you won't know for a few days.

Back