First time using Gelatin Finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertvrabel

Reaction score
I purchased Gelatin Fining from Northern Brewer: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...salts-finings/clarifiers/gelatin-finings.html . Now I just read a lot of previous threads about this doing a search, and Ive seen many people say never to boil this. The instructions on the container say this:

1/2 TSp/5Gal Beer. Soak in cold water for one hour. Then boil to dissolve.

Questions:
1. Is this correct to do?
2. How much water to use?
3. I have a beer thats been in the primary 3.5 weeks... do I just pour this right into the primary, or do I need to rack to secondary and use it then?
4. How long do I wait (leaving it at around 62degrees) before I bottle it?

1.)Most gelatin says not to boil on the label. You want to heat it til almost boiling.

2.)I use about 2 cups of water with half a package of gelatin.

3.)Just pour right into primary. Although you should chill the primary before adding the gelatin (crash cool).

4.)I would leave the primary in the fridge for a couple of days then bottle as normal.

The gelatin will work at 62 degrees, but not nearly as well if the beer was chilled first.

This one says to boil right on the label... that is why I'm asking. Seems odd to me from what I've read, and I'm wonder why the heck they would put it on the label then?

It may be a different chemical mixture... I know that most of the gelatin info I have read has been for Knox gelatin, the stuff you would buy in the grocery store. I think when that was boiled it basically resulted in jelly in the bottom... heat can result in a chemical change, so maybe the difference in composition is the reason for the different instructions.

Have not used any of this so far, although I did use isinglass a number of times and found that it gave me good clarity.

Latest posts

Back