first time using fresh hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danomyte

Reaction score
Getting some fresh hops in soon from a friend who has them growing wild in his yard and doesn't brew. Never brewed with fresh hops and anything you can share to help would be great.

Would I use the same amount as dry hops? Any time limit to when I can use them after picking? Anything need to be done to the hops after picking? If he puts them in a ziplock bag and mails them, is that ok for them?

You need to use them as soon as possible, fresh hops don't last long. Since you don't know their a-acid content you might want to bitter with a known charge and use the fresh hops very late for flavor and aroma.

You will need about 3X the amount of wet hops by weight since they have high moisture content compared to prepared (dried) hops.

If they're still wet, they may get moldy if he seals them in a ziplock bag. I know that other fresh/wet "herby buds" are like that.

Do you know what kind of hops they are? Typically, hops are dried in order to use them in brewing, however you can totally use wet hops. They say that wet hops have a softer, more subtle, less pungent character than dry hops.

I'm not 100% positive, but you probably need more wet hops than dry hops to get the same effect, as the moisture will add to the weight.

You need to use them as soon as possible, fresh hops don't last long. Since you don't know their a-acid content you might want to bitter with a known charge and use the fresh hops very late for flavor and aroma.

You will need about 3X the amount of wet hops by weight since they have high moisture content compared to prepared (dried) hops.

would 2-3 days after picking be too long?

If they're still wet, they may get moldy if he seals them in a ziplock bag. I know that other fresh/wet "herby buds" are like that.

Do you know what kind of hops they are? Typically, hops are dried in order to use them in brewing, however you can totally use wet hops. They say that wet hops have a softer, more subtle, less pungent character than dry hops.

I'm not 100% positive, but you probably need more wet hops than dry hops to get the same effect, as the moisture will add to the weight.

good call on the mold. maybe just pack them loose in USPS box.
they are cascade and amarillo

i'm using fresh hops for the first time as well this year - started a mini hop yard of centennial, cascade, and chinook. I'm "dry" hopping with them. The first harvest i used was centennial, and i added them right off the bine (almost - gave them about 30 min in a dehydrator to encourage any bugs to scuttle off) into secondary.

a friend of mine who also grows hops advised that if adding to the boil, add them late to avoid getting "green" (ie plant like) flavors. i have no direct experience to back this up.

and yes, as others have stated, you'll need more wet hops than dry. the range i've heard is 3-5 times as many (depending on moisture content).

just following up here - last night i kegged the IPA that i dry hopped with fresh hops. turned out great! could have done a little better job filtering out (just a few hop flakes here and there; those should settle and come out the first few pints). next time i'll use a mesh bag.

Back