First time use of a wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brews-n-Blues

Reaction score
Hello again,
For all of you Brewers out there that use a copper tubing wort chiller. I was wondering if there is any need to clean and sanitize the inside or outside, before using or will the hot wort on outside be enouph to sanitize the equipment?
I know the water running through the inside will never touch the wort, but I just wanted to cover all my bases before I use it?

I never sanitize the inside because all it ever sees is water and that should never get in the wort. As for the outside, I drop it in the boil with 15 min left and then scrub it down to clean it afterwards.
Thank you for the info!
Also, I was wondering if you've ever used an "Ice wand", along with the wort chiller to cool the wort faster? Or is the wort chiller fast enouph?

Immersion chiller - like what was already said, there's no need to sanitize the inside. It can get as moldy and funky as it wants. It will never touch the wort. When I used an IC I stuck in the boiling wort once. That all it took to melt the vinyl hoses attached to it. Lesson learned. You'll either have to use a high temp hose like silicone or do what I did and stick it in the bucket filled with sanitizer for several minutes before using.

Ice wand - I've heard of them, but never used one. The person that I know that did use one said it was about as effective as throwing an ice cube in a bot of boiling water. It may be good to supplement, but overall not worth it.

Immersion chiller - like what was already said, there's no need to sanitize the inside. It can get as moldy and funky as it wants. It will never touch the wort. When I used an IC I stuck in the boiling wort once. That all it took to melt the vinyl hoses attached to it. Lesson learned. You'll either have to use a high temp hose like silicone or do what I did and stick it in the bucket filled with sanitizer for several minutes before using.

Ice wand - I've heard of them, but never used one. The person that I know that did use one said it was about as effective as throwing an ice cube in a bot of boiling water. It may be good to supplement, but overall not worth it.
Thanks again for the info!
Cheers!
🍺😎

Thank you for the info!
Also, I was wondering if you've ever used an "Ice wand", along with the wort chiller to cool the wort faster? Or is the wort chiller fast enouph?
The problem with the IC is that you'll never get it cooler than your ground water. So in the winter, it's awesome, aside from brewing outside in the cold. But during the summer, I'll use the ground water to get it down to about 100F and then I'll switch over to a pond pump in a bucket of ice water. All I got was this one off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RVPNQL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it's powerful enough to push water through the Hydra immersion chiller.

I'll add that to make it even more effective, you got to get the wort moving. It could be just dunking the chiller up and down while it's running, or get a whirlpool arm, or what I do, and get a 5 gallon paint stirrer and attach it to a power drill.

The problem with the IC is that you'll never get it cooler than your ground water. So in the winter, it's awesome, aside from brewing outside in the cold. But during the summer, I'll use the ground water to get it down to about 100F and then I'll switch over to a pond pump in a bucket of ice water. All I got was this one off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RVPNQL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it's powerful enough to push water through the Hydra immersion chiller.

I'll add that to make it even more effective, you got to get the wort moving. It could be just dunking the chiller up and down while it's running, or get a whirlpool arm, or what I do, and get a 5 gallon paint stirrer and attach it to a power drill.
I was actually going to route the chiller water through a closed loop containing a large cooler full of ice and about a gallon of water to start. I'll purge some of the heated water off into another container to use for cleaning the equipment after.
I'll then keep filling the chilled water with more ice. I've heard and seen on youtube that this works pretty good and quick?
I just know that time is your enemy in this step, so you wanna get the wort cooled to 68° as fast as posible to pitch the yeast and seal the fermentor with an airlock.
Cheers!

First time using a wort chiller, scrub it gently with unscented liquid soap and rinse well.

First time using a wort chiller, scrub it gently with unscented liquid soap and rinse well.
I bought this one from a Brew supply shop. I didn't make it. Would it still require outside scrubbing or would this part already have been done by the manufacturers, since they know the purpose of the piece? Not sure?

Would it still require outside scrubbing
What you say makes perfect sense but I wouldn't count on them doing that. It's the same degree of importance (or a little more since there might be machining) as with tupperware, new glassware and the like--wash it first. Taking five minutes to wash it well is just a precaution, removes and factory residue (if they haven't done it). Required? No. Peace of mind? Yes.

I echo myndflyte, get a stainless paint mixing attachment for a cordless drill and use it to circulate the hot wort while cooling. It speeds up the process and is easy to use.

In addition, consider getting quick connectors for your IC and hoses: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0714DKBL9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with a shut off valve: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZYGVFH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 These really help when connecting and disconnecting the hoses from the IC.

We are on a private well. The water temp is fairly constant all year at around 55 Deg F. so no need here for an icebath exchanger, however you might find that you will save time and water, and its better for the beer to chill fast, like through a counter flow or plate chiller.

I do the same as above. Never cleaned inside. I hose it down with high pressure after using and before putting it in, and let it sanitize with 15 minutes left.

I use vinyl tubing attached to mine and have never had melting issues.

Back