First Time trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdub27

Reaction score
Hello everyone I just attempted to make my first batch of home brew. I have a Brown Ale in my fermentor. I'm worried I may have pitched the yeast to hot. There has been no action in my airlock and it has been over 24 hours. I've had to refill my airlock three time because the level keeps going down. (I am using vodka to refill). I have my bucket in a room that is between 65-70 degrees. Not sure what to do. I know next time to have more patients and let the wort cool more from what I have read. Is this batch salvageable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, airlock drainage is probabily suckback from the temp of your wort droping. dont worry about the extra abv in your beer :) it will be fine.

What temp did you pitch at?

How hot was it? If the airlock keeps running in reverse, it's probably due to cooling of the wort.

So, how hot was it?

The temp was probally close to 100, Im kicking myself now for not waiting but I guess that how you learn. Do you think I still have a chance.

I'd stick a wet t-shirt and fan on that bad boy. If they temp hasn't dropped significantly you'll still get it to ferment but there may be some strong off flavors from the temp being so high.

100 degrees isn't hot enough to kill your yeast. You might get some fusel alcohols from pitching too high, but you'll probably be okay.

Remember that airlock activity is not an indication of fermentation. It's not uncommon for beers to take 2 or 3 days to show active signs of vigorous fermentation. While I've had some that have started up inside of 4 hours, and 12 being the average, I've had some that didn't really start kicking until 4 days.

Alot of action in the airlock now for the past few hours. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Back