First time to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacktooth1313

Reaction score
Just finished first home brew and wanting to keg I have everything I need just I've watched 100 you tube videos and read articles and they are all different . Any help on a basic way that all agree upon would help thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sanitize it, then rack it to the keg, close the keg and shoot a little co2 in, maybe 15-20 psi, (either the liquid and bubble it through the beer or in the gas side so it falls on top, either way it will end up right on top of the beer) release the pressure and do it a few more times. On the last time set the pressure to the proper Psi for the temp you will store the beer at and the proper carb level for the style. Wait for 2 weeks and then serve. There is ways to carb it faster but I have never much luck and it seems to over carb everytime for me so I set and forget. I sometimes boost the initial psi to 30 for a day or so to help it get started but that's it.

Easy answer: No. I ran into the same problem when I started. In use the shake method - rock the keg for 5 minutes or so at 35psi, let it sit at 35psi for 24 hrs, reduce to 12 psi and it's usually fully carbonated in 3 days. You can also let it sit at serving psi (between 10 and 12psi) and wait about 7 days. Now just because it's not fully carbonated doesn't mean it's not drinkable ;-)

Fuzzy on proper steps and where to store pro pure temp ill response when I get home CABT text and drive 18 wheeler hahah not good

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393986337.632931.jpg
Here is a carbonation chart which will tell you what PSI at what temperature will give you the volume of CO2 relevant to the style you're brewing.
BJCP style guidelines will tell you average level of CO2 per style of beer brewed.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Oh wow thanks trying to learn this beersmith 2 program and now this haha

Follow the char above..Set your regulator to correct PSI vs. temp for your desired level of dissolved CO2...Sanitize Keg/Equipment (running star san through your tap and hoses with CO2 for at least two min...tip keg upside down with star san/ water mix for at lest 2 min etc..)Rack you beer in keg...cold crash over night with a head of CO2 on the kegged beer...Next morning, set to desired PSI keep your Gas plugged in you gas outlet and tip keg upside down...roll keg around and kinda shake it if you will until you hear it stop bubbling. purge pressure off the top of the keg and wait a few hrs. Do this one more time and wait a few hrs. purge pressure off the top (may want to wait an hr or so after you last purge to let the beer settle) and serve a glass. If you like what you see keep it at that pressure if you dont keep repeating the steps above. I use beer gas after carbonation so that my beer is consistent and creamy. I have done this a lot and this is by far the fastest best method there is.
If you over carb, simply shake the keg (with the co2 disconnected of course) and purge the pressure off the top until you reach an equilibrium point with the PSI in your keg and what is set on your regulator. good luck buddy, we have all been in your shoes at one point.

Sorry guys very new to this and these terms y'all use I'm trying to look that up to even see what it means hahah

Sorry but lost and clueless to all this my friend need lay mens terms hahah wish I would have gotten those carb tablets

I would fill the keg with the 5 gallons of beer. Say you brewed 7 gallons. You'd have 2 left over after filling. I use 1oz sugar to 1 gallon of beer as my default priming ratio. So I would then dissolve 2oz by weight of sugar into a cup of water. Take the water with dissolved sugar and pour into the bottom of the bucket you will bottle from. Then rack/siphon the remaining 2 gallons of beer on top of the water with sugar dissolved into it. Then GENTLY stir the mixture together. The racking should have them pretty well mixed but it never hurts to be more certain. Don't splash though you don't want to introduce oxygen at this point. Then just fill and cap your bottles as you normally would.

Putting the 30 psi on it but it's a constant hissing sound but yet feel NO co2 coming out

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394036214.145375.jpg

It will continue to hiss until the keg comes up to pressure. After a couple minutes or so it should quiet down to absolute silence. If it doesn't, then you have a leak somewhere. It's common to have leaks when you first get started since you don't know all the ins and outs. If you have some star san, make up some sanitizer but use a little more star san than the directions call for. Put this in a spray bottle and spray every gas connection, the keg lid, everything. Star san is foamy, so it will bubble like crazy if you have a leak somewhere. If you find a leak and don't know how to fix it, report back and we'll help you out.

Hmm. You might have a leak then. I would shut your tank off and make up some leak test (like the star san I suggested). Then open the tank back up and spray everything (especially the gas fitting you spoke of). If you find a definite leak, shut the gas back off and report back.

Did you replace all of the o-rings or were they advertised as already replaced when you bought the keg? Did you lube all the o-rings with keg lube? Did you assemble the gas lines / fittings yourself or did they come pre-assembled? Are you sure you have the right fittings on the right keg posts? The quick disconnect for the gas in is different than the disconnect for the beer out. If you have the wrong fitting on the wrong post, it won't seal right.

Long with gray bottom gas and other beer correct cause the grey has two pin openings to lock

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394043110.959609.jpg

Still hear it butt not much at 10 verse 30

You should not be hearing a hissing for hours. I would HIGHLY recommend cleaning and or replacing the o-rings on your posts and giving them a good dose of keg lube the o-rings under the dip tubes wouldn't hurt either while you're at it. That and ensure your connectors are clean as well. They should have screwdriver slots on the back to disassemble to clean. Just be careful not to lose the small o-rings when cleaning. If you still hear hissing I would go heavy at everything with either starsan preferably or soapy water and find where the leak is. You should only hear CO2 hushing for a few seconds until the headspace equalizes what the regulator has set.

Just ordered new gaskets but kinda to late being that the beer is already in the keg

It shouldn't hurt the beer. Just pull the post, pull the dip tube, switch o ring, lube o-ring, spray diptube with sanitizer, stick back in, replace O-ring on outside of post, lube, reassemble after sanitizing. Then repeat process for the other post. The beer should be fine it shouldn't be exposed to oxygen for long if at all. It should have a layer of co2 blanketing the surface so you should be fine.

I am getting ready to keg my beer in about a week also first time. So when I keg the beer do I need to carbonate it with sugar or not thanks.

First time brewer

You can do either. If you have room to hook up the co2 you just hook it up And set the pressure according to your desired carbonation level for the temp that your beer is stored at. I recommend the co2 way.

Thanks farmskis I am doing an IPA what kind of beer would that fall under on the chart. Thanks again

I will be going directly in a kegarator fridge temp about 39. Can I go directly to the fridge or should I wait

You can drive yourself nuts trying to follow charts. Set your co2 to about 12psi and let it set there for a week or so. Most beers will be about right. Porters and stouts probably better at 10-11 psi. If its over-carbed you've learned something.

No matter what you do it will take a few days to see what happened. Be patient. You'll make good beer. Perfect takes time, practice and experience.

Back