First time sour results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed my first sour on a yeast cake of Roeselare Ale Blend 3763. I brewed a simple hefeweizen / berliner weizen and threw it on the cake on 5/26. It fermented down to 1.006 as of 7/18. I was under the assumption that 3763 has a mix of bugs,lacto, pedio, brett. It's only been about a month and a half, but i get no lacto from it at all. A little bit of brett and I do mean a little. Will the lacto come out over time? Or should I add some sugar / fruit with some lacto? Im in no rush, so I can wait. I know sours usually take time to mature, so maybe I'm rushing it. Thanks for the insight!

commercial sour blends are notorious for not working very fast, or sometimes barely at all. I always recommend pitching some dregs from some of your favorite sours to both speed it up and give it greater depth of character

I brewed my first sour on a yeast cake of Roeselare Ale Blend 3763. I brewed a simple hefeweizen / berliner weizen and threw it on the cake on 5/26. It fermented down to 1.006 as of 7/18. I was under the assumption that 3763 has a mix of bugs,lacto, pedio, brett. It's only been about a month and a half, but i get no lacto from it at all. A little bit of brett and I do mean a little. Will the lacto come out over time? Or should I add some sugar / fruit with some lacto? Im in no rush, so I can wait. I know sours usually take time to mature, so maybe I'm rushing it. Thanks for the insight!

I have MUCH better luck kettle souring my hefe style wort with Omega Labs OYL-605 lacto. Very predictable, simple and sours nicely in 24 hours or less. Some say it is not overly complex, but in my opinion, it is very nice for a BW. I know this doesn't answer your immediate question, but something to consider next time around.

What were the IBU's. THe lacto in that blend does not like anything over 10 IBU's That blend does not get very sour the first generation, but if there were many hops at all then it will barely get sour.

What were the IBU's. THe lacto in that blend does not like anything over 10 IBU's That blend does not get very sour the first generation, but if there were many hops at all then it will barely get sour.

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/beliner

It's 7 IBU'S, we'll below the danger zone, I think the yeast is just lame.

What was the temperature of the fermentation?

What about aeration?

I know for the beers I want to get really sour from my house mix, I will purge the carboy with CO2 before introducing the wort (though I am currently trying to learn to reduce the sourness and control my mix better), then ferment in the 80's. My mix started from Wyeast de Bom, but has been added to too many times for me to remember. On that original package they warned not to aerate too much, so that the bugs would do have a better shot of souring before the yeast eats everything else (aeration allows for your yeast to multiply, while it won't help your lacto).

What was the temperature of the fermentation?

What about aeration?

I know for the beers I want to get really sour from my house mix, I will purge the carboy with CO2 before introducing the wort (though I am currently trying to learn to reduce the sourness and control my mix better), then ferment in the 80's. My mix started from Wyeast de Bom, but has been added to too many times for me to remember. On that original package they warned not to aerate too much, so that the bugs would do have a better shot of souring before the yeast eats everything else (aeration allows for your yeast to multiply, while it won't help your lacto).

Just typical aeration, rocked it around for a minute, not air stone. It fermented in ambient temperature of 70 so the wort was probably 75 or so.

What about adding in a quart of pure fruit juice then pitching some lacto? Could that produce more pucker tartness?

I made a sour with that yeast about a year ago, and at 4-6 months or so it still wasn't all that sour. However, I taste tested it a couple weeks ago, and now it's actually a little too sour IMO. I'm making a clean beer to blend with it in order to tone it down a bit. So, I would just give it some time.

Just typical aeration, rocked it around for a minute, not air stone. It fermented in ambient temperature of 70 so the wort was probably 75 or so.

What about adding in a quart of pure fruit juice then pitching some lacto? Could that produce more pucker tartness?

I would say no, that wouldn't help too much. If anything, make a small 1 gallon batch with just lacto, no oxygen (when filling put the line on the bottom so it doesn't splash at all, if you have a CO2 canister, purge the vessel), then blend it.

Back