First time re-using yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxin204

Reaction score
Saturday was my first time re-using my precious yeast cake. When I went to check on it this morning, I had yeast coming up through my airlock. I am using a 3 piece airlock. Is there something else I should be using? What would be a fix for this to save the beer?

image-1086464927.jpg

If you just pitched directly onto a yeast cake, you likely used a lot more yeast than is typically recommended. The result was an excessively aggressive fermentation. Though I'm not sure this beer needs any saving, you can use a blowoff tube next time to prevent the mess.

I had this happen a couple times. I take the airlock off and stick one end of a (sanitized) hose into the hole and the other end into a bucket (I use a growler) that is about a third full of sanitized water. Put the hose below the water level and let the batch blow into that. If you don't do that, be carefull as the pressure in the bucket may blow the lid off you bucket and make a little mess.

super active, i dig it!

you beer will be fine. you could use a blowoff tube, or just take off the airlock, and clean in and put it back on.......make sure its sanitized.

you dont need to cover it if you clean it quickly, the off gassing of the fermentation will produce enough draft to keep anything from going in that small hole. some people disagree, but thats how open fermenters work, you can drop a feather over the top and it blows away, pretty cool......

good luck!

For today, some type of blowoff tube would be in order. In the future, don't use the entire yeast cake and control your temperatures.

For an ale I'll generally pitch 100ml of fresh slurry for 5.5 gallons and start around 66 degrees. If you're forced to deal with warmer temps you may want reduce the amount of slurry.

Back