First time partial mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjoystick

Reaction score
I am doing a pilsener from Brewferms Golden Pilsener. I will add organic pilsener malt grains and some saaz hopps.

So... I boil water and add how much malt grains? I'm thinking of using a malt-sock so boil it like a tea. How much grains and how long I boil it? I will do 20 litres total. I'm aiming for 5 alc%.

When do I add the hopps? And recommendations how much of them would be much appreciated too!

And I was thinking of adding some honey as well - can I do this when I boil the water?

DO NOT BOIL MASH WATER!!! You heat it to between,say 147-155F,depending on how fermentable you want it. In other words,how much body you want. Usually 1,25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. Read the sticky about easy partial mash brewing. It sounds like you need to read up on it.

My malt was recommended to boil 80-85 c, 90 minutes and I did that. At the end I removed the malt grains and boiled the water quickly, like 2 minutes. Still risk of extracting the tannines? Or am I safe?

My malt was recommended to boil 80-85 c, 90 minutes and I did that. At the end I removed the malt grains and boiled the water quickly, like 2 minutes. Still risk of extracting the tannines? Or am I safe?

By my calculations,85C would be 185F. Not boiling,but way above the temps to mash grains at. You mash base grains with the other types (Specialty,color,crystal/caramel,etc). The base grains have enzymes in them that help convert starches into simple sugars the yeast can ferment. That's what mashing does. Those high temps will basically kill the enzymes,so no conversion. 147F to 160F is the typical temp range given,but 147-155F is the range I stick to.

The actual temperature was 70-80c because I measured the temperature from the bottom where it is warmer. But I did boil the water after I took the grains out. Boiled it for a minute or two, so what u think, does that kill the enzymes as well?

Ok,70C would be 158F,which is still a couple degrees high to me,but in range. You'll just get more body IE-unfermentables. Boiling kills the enzymes,but you should normally have good conversion by the end of the mash anyway. And the boil is usually one hour,sometimes 90 minutes. 2 minutes will do nothing meaningfull,as it's too short.

Good to hear, maybe I'm safe. Gravity was 1.4 so grains definately added some sugar as the extract kit asked to add 1 kg of sugar that I did not add. Thanks for the help!

Back