First time - neep help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankdent

Reaction score
Hi I made Kombucha with a gallon jar, everything went fine, I bottled about 4/5 of it and I'm left with 1/5 and the SCOBY. I covered it up with a cloth and it's been sitting there for 1 day. Can I just put 6 more tea bags into 2 cups of boiling water, steep it, add 3/4 cup sugar, then add 11 cups of water, and then once it's room temperature add directly in my gallon jar to start another batch. Also, I would like to convert it to continuous brewing for my 2nd batch so that I could just take out a little at a time and add sweat tea and water to keep it going.
Or did I mess up by leaving the SCOBY in there with 1/5 of the mixture for a day.

Your Scooby is fine. That's how you can store it, in a jar with enough starter juice to keep it moist and enough to start the next batch. In the cupboard is fine too or fridge for extended periods. Just gets a bit more sour and vinegary after a while.

Personally I'd boil more than 2 cups to make the tea but it would probably work out just fine your way as well.

Back