First time liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonestargent

Reaction score
I've been brewing extract for about a year. Didn't brew at all during the summer months as those are my busy months with work. My brew buddy brought over an extract kit with liquid yeast but didn't get to bee it for about 2 months. The liquid yeast past the best by date by about 1.5 months and I didn't make any type of starter for it. I just pitched into wort and covered. What is the likely hood of this beer fermenting properly and not getting infected?

Did you oxygenate it? The chances of infection are low (so long as your sanitation is up to snuff), but you'll probably have a decent lag time until you have fermentation. I'd get a pack of a similar dry yeast and be ready to re-pitch if you don't have fermentation after 3 days. Check with a hydrometer before pitching any additional yeast though. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Yes I oxygenated and my sanitation was good. I'll keep a close eye on it and hopefully it'll kick off. I'm a little over 24 hrs in

Back