first time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
Its my first time kegging and I was wondering if I should pass something else other than Starsan in the beer line first?

cheers all

Starsan is just fine. Just dump the first half pint or quarter pint out and drink from there! Good luck

Cheers

Nope, I didn't clean out my lines first use either. Just pump some StarSan through, I use the hand pump 2 quart one, then tap up the keg, pour out 1/3 to 1/2 a glass, dump, then pour yourself a pint and drink. After the keg is empty however it's best practice to clean with BLC then rinse with water. I use the hand pump for that too. Saves CO2. Nowadays though I just push the 5 gallons of StarSan out of the keg using a lower psi like 5psi which sanitizes the keg, the disconnects, the lines, and the faucet while also purging all O2 and leaving CO2 in the keg to help against possible oxidation when filling. Works great.

Rev.

Back