First time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubasteve21

Reaction score
Had a question in regards to carbonating my beer. I am not in a hurry so was just going to set it the CO2 to 10-12 PSI and leave for 3-5 days at 42F. The question is do I hook the CO2 up to the IN or OUT spot on the keg. I have read that about boths way but just seeing which is better/fastest.

I am not in a hurry so was just going to set it the CO2 to 10-12 PSI and leave for 3-5 days at 42F. The question is do I hook the CO2 up to the IN or OUT spot on the keg. I have read that about boths way but just seeing which is better/fastest.

IME, 3 - 5 days at 42F will not bring much carbonation at all. At serving pressure ( 10 - 12 psi ), it will take upwards of two weeks. If this is your first keg, That will likely seem like an eternity! I would force carb a bit just to get an earlier taste. 25 psi for 24 -36 hours should jump start the process. search around...I think B'muncher documented a force carb routine. I have also raised pressure and shaken the keg for a couple minutes to speed things along.

You will need about 2 weeks, maybe more, at 10-12 lbs to get your beer carbonated.

I hook my kegs up from room temp (~68F) into the fridge (~38/40F) and leave the pressure @ 12PSI and 1 week later it's good to go. No rocking, nothing special but I've not measured the CO2 and it seems fully carbed to me; pop it in on a Sat/Sun and by Friday it's good to go! :mug:

I usually "jump start" it with 48 hrs of 30 PSI, then down to 12, but, as you can tell, there are lots of opinions. As in most things, lots of opinions means that they all work just fine.

I set mine at 10-12 (serving pressure) once it's cold. Then just give it a shake every time you walk by. It'll be carbed in less than a week.

For those setting at a higher pressure for 24-28 hours. Do you bleed pressure at any point since it is set at a higher pressure? Maybe a dumb question.

For those setting at a higher pressure for 24-28 hours. Do you bleed pressure at any point since it is set at a higher pressure? Maybe a dumb question.

in my experience, the beer absorbed the majority of the pressure. i only have one regulator though so i just charge it with 30psi twice over 2 days, then charge it to 20 for a day, then put it on 12 psi with the beers i have on tap. it usually pouring perfectly after about a week.

I typically will set my keg at about 25 psi and stick it in the fridge. I'll shake it several times before I go to sleep, then again in the morning before work. At that pressure and lower temps with frequent agitation, you should be able to get the beer carbed in a few days. I don't like to wait a week, I'll shake it more often.

I leave it at higher pressure until I'm ready to serve. I then bleed off excess pressure and fiddle with gague while pouring until it comes out right. After a few days I'll charge it back up to keep the carbonation right.

Just mess around a bit with it. You'll figure it out.

Roman

Not a dumb question...if you don't bleed your keg and the pressure is higher in your keg than your regulator your beer can (will?) go back through your in line.

Back