First time kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stosh

Reaction score
I got two used kegs from AIH.

While taking them apart to clean I found one gas dip tube was very short about 3/8 inch. The other one is about 2 inches. Does this matter?

Secondly, both liquid dip tubes had two o rings installed. Should there be one or two?

Do I need to reassemble with o ring lube? What would be a suitable substitute?

Thanks for getting a first time kegger going.

Two inches is pretty short. Is it directly in the middle of the keg and that short? I bought two used kegs last year and had a short tube in one keg. I think a lot of their used kegs are converted. Dip tube should only have one o-ring.

The length of the gas tube really doesn't matter as long as it's above the max fill line.

As far as the double o-ring goes, that was probably put there because there wasn't enough compression with just one and a thicker o-ring wasn't on hand at the time. I ran into a similar situation with one of my kegs.. I too was confused. I removed the double o-ring and installed a new, single o-ring. It leaked like a sieve. I lubed up and reinstalled the double o-ring. Has been working like a champ ever since.

The OP implies neither dip is anywhere near long enough to actually empty the keg?
Someone's gonna have a bad time...

Cheers!

[edit] Misread the OP and thought the two tubes were on the same keg.
Aaanyway...I've shortened the gas tubes on all of my kegs down to ~ 1/2", just on GPs...

Cheers!

Last edited:
The length of the gas tube really doesn't matter as long as it's above the max fill line.

As far as the double o-ring goes, that was probably put there because there wasn't enough compression with just one and a thicker o-ring wasn't on hand at the time. I ran into a similar situation with one of my kegs.. I too was confused. I removed the double o-ring and installed a new, single o-ring. It leaked like a sieve. I lubed up and reinstalled the double o-ring. Has been working like a champ ever since.
Yeah read that wrong. I never looked really put too much thought about the gas side of the keg.

I’ve only bought new kegs. And the gas tubes are about inch and a half two inches. But all the same length. And that’s different manufacturers too. A gas tube of about 3/8 inch seems short.

Have you called AIH?

Thought I'd post a short update. Thanks to those who replied.

I talked to AIH and they said not to worry about the gas tube length.

I replaced all o rings and used one o ring per dip tube despite there being two when I got the kegs and there are no leaks

Latest posts

Back