First time Kegging -- Forced carb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freddiecas

Reaction score
I will be kegging my first batch this weekend but I have a question regarding forced carb. After I have filled the keg and carb to the desire co2 volumen, I will place the keg in the fridge so co2 is disolved better, for 1 week. After that can I shut off the co2 and let only the keg in the fridge for a period of time and only before serving do I need the co2 tank?

Thanks for your help. :mug:

FC

Put the keg in the fridge right from the beginning. It will begin a "free-of-charge" crash cooling as well as allow more CO2 to be dissolved. The colder the beer, the more CO2 you can fit into it. But once you are at fridge temps and the gas has reached equilibrium (about two weeks give or take), you can remove it from the gas. Though I don't see why you would - your regulator will monitor the situation for you.

Last night I force carb a keg. I got it to 40F and then took it out of the fridge put it on the ground on its side then rocked back on its side for 30-45 min with 12 psi on it. put it back on the fridge and hooked it up. First glass was foamy. The next 5 pints were perfect. Nice carb lvl.

I would personally keep the keg on co2 to make sure its taken all the co2 it can take at that pressure

if the keg is being carbed during that first week and you pour a pint or two to see where it's at will that mess anything up or change pressure?

if the keg is being carbed during that first week and you pour a pint or two to see where it's at will that mess anything up or change pressure?

Not at all and in fact that is one of the best things about kegging, you can taste at any time! I find it takes 2 weeks for the beer to clear up and the flavors to mellow out.

Back