First time kegging few basic questions, have researched

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frew

Reaction score
Ive read around and get the gist of the kegging but i still had a question or two that i couldnt get solid answers for.

1) I don't have space to keg all my beers in the fridge so ill be doing it at 65degrees at 25psi in my coldest room. how long should i leave it at 25psi?

2) what would be the serving PSI? i was thinking around 11psi.

3) would i have to vent the pressure in the kegs once i cool them since i carbed at 25psi before serving?

4)i have about a month before ill be serving the beer so could i just leave the Co2 set at 11-12psi at 65degrees for the whole time and chill and serve it?

Cheers

Cam

frew said:
Ive read around and get the gist of the kegging but i still had a question or two that i couldnt get solid answers for.

1) I don't have space to keg all my beers in the fridge so ill be doing it at 65degrees at 25psi in my coldest room. how long should i leave it at 25psi?

3) would i have to vent the pressure in the kegs once i cool them since i carbed at 25psi before serving?

4)i have about a month before ill be serving the beer so could i just leave the Co2 set at 11-12psi at 65degrees for the whole time and chill and serve it?

Cheers

Cam

There are several calculators that you can use for temp and Co2 levels. I would provide a link but I'm on my phone. Depending on what type of beer and line length will determine serving psi. If you carb at a higher psi than your serving psi you will need to vent the gas or you will have a bit if a mess to clean up. If you set your psi at serving pressure for 2 or more weeks that is called the set it and forget method. That's what a kit if people do including me. I think that answers your questions. Let us know if you have any more.

11-12 PSI at 65F will only get you to about 1.5 volumes of CO2. To get started you might consider carbonating with corn sugar for any kegs that won't fit in your fridge since they'll be at a warm temp for a month anyway. Otherwise you're looking at something more than a basic CO2 setup since you'd need different carbing and serving pressures. It's certainly doable but will require a bit more upfront investment.

Cheers

Cam

1) 2-3 weeks should be good to fully carb it at any temperature

2) Well, from question #1 it looks like you're carbing to ~2.5 volumes, so calculated the required pressure based off your fridge temp! If you're at ~39 degrees, 11 psi is perfect.

3) If you let them cool overnight, chances are the pressure will drop down. It's still a good practice to vent. Also a good practice to have check valves on your regulator, and not to overfill the kegs.

4) No. See answer 1. Whether you're carbing in the fridge at 11 psi or at room temp at 25 psi, it will take 2-3 weeks.

Thanks guys. looks like 25psi for 2-3 weeks and then chill over night for the party and vent so the psi hits 11-12 and test a serving. sound about right?

Cheers

Cam

Latest posts

Back