First time Kegger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickbones14

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Kegging my first brew this weekend and need some help. Based on my research I have found two methods and want to know what is best.

5 gallons of Irish Stout. Fridge is 33 degrees. Co2 1.8-2.02?

1. Should I set the regulator at 5 psi and let the keg sit for 5-7 days. Maybe longer

Or

2. Set regulator to 20-30 psi and check the brew every 24 hours until desired carbonation is achieved?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My advice is always to let it carb up on it's own. Don't force it, because if you screw up it's a pain to fix. It will probably take closer to 2 weeks to fully carbonate.

That being said, I force carb'd occasionally. I set my CO2 pressure to 30PSI and carb at room temperature for ~24 hours. I shake occasionally. Then I put it into the keezer, set to serving pressure, and let it sit for about a week. It is hard to overcarbonate this way, and it cuts the carbonation time in half. That's just my method. YMMV.

If it was me, I would go 30 PSI at <40 degrees for a day or two then revert to serving pressure to finish off. 30 PSI at 70 degrees isnt going to do too much, you might as well just set it at serving temps/pressure.

This chart may help:

chart.jpg

I set mine at 20-25 for a couple days. pull it after a2 days check it..then I turn it down to serving.5-10 I have never over carbed a keg this way I did over carb by being impatient and rolling it

Thanks guys.

If I do go with the 20 psi method, do I keep it in the fridge or room temp?

If it was me, I would go 30 PSI at <40 degrees for a day or two then revert to serving pressure to finish off. 30 PSI at 70 degrees isnt going to do too much, you might as well just set it at serving temps/pressure.

This chart may help:

chart.jpg

This is a great chart. I also use this method. Put the keg in my keezer and turn pressure up between 25 -30 psi for 1-2 days then back down (5-10 serving pressure). Its drinkable after 1, after 2 is better but after you turn it down it still takes a few days to get it just right IMO. :rockin:

I still let it carb naturally using cane sugar. Some say to dial down the sugar to 1/2 the amount but I've been doing the same amount with no issues. I'd force carb but where I am CO2 is rather annoying to get a fill up(and not cheap either. $30CAD for a 5lb tank) so I'm trying to just use the gas for pushing beer, not carbing it.

all great answers above, and the chart is on my beer fridge in the garage.

here's my method:
--once in the keg, i slowly increase the pressure so i know the seal is good.
--then it's the crank n shake method: crank the psi to 20, shake (rock) the keg back and forth for 90 seconds
--degas and draw off a sample (mainly because i'm impatient!)
--put it back on 20 psi for 24 hours @ room temperature (usually my basement at around 67 degrees F)
--degas once more and put it on my "normal" serving psi (my system is calibrated to 8 psi)
--let it carb naturally at this point for about 7-10 days to reach its full potential. sample along the way and figure out what works best for your beers and set up.

this method works really well for me and for my system. my system consists of a fridge, a 5# co2 tank & regulator (in the fridge), and a 4 valve manifold to my kegs. i'm a fan of pin-lock and just use regular picnic taps to dispense--no keezer tap system (yet).

for bottling, i will siphon off a few bottles while i'm kegging and use carbonation drops in the bottles. otherwise, i just fill growlers and/or swing top bottle to transport and give to friends/family.

Back