first time kegger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naivenavila

Reaction score
so i just got all the equipment i needed to be able to keg my beer. instead of trying on one of my beers i decided to try it out on a root beer that we will serve at my 4 year olds birthday party this weekend (I would rather ruin root beer, than actual beer). :) I tried watching videos and reading up on how to actually carbonate and I'm not sure its all that clear to me. any recommendations on videos to watch or previous threads posted? Or if anyone can explain how its done that would be great.

What I did was pressurize the keg up to about 40 psi and then brought down to 4 psi. It's currently in my fridge hooked up to the co2 tank set at 4 psi. Is that ok and will it be carbonated by this saturday or did i do it completely wrong? thanks,

Well I haven't done soda but I know legging my beer I would leave the pressure set at 30PSI for 24hrs. Then bring it down to 12PSI(serving pressure) and leave it there an the beer is usually carbonated in a week or so.

You can search you tube for "force carbing" or force carbonation. To find videos that will show you various methods. Some people set and forget. Yet others will shake and roll at higher pressure to get it absorbed faster.

Soda is usually carbonated much higher than beer, and requires much higher carbonating/serving pressures, and much longer serving lines. Common serving pressure for beer is 10-12psi, whereas 25-30 psi is common for soda.

I hope you're using a keg that will be dedicated to root beer. In my experience, once you put root beer in a keg it's almost impossible to get that smell out.

Sorry I have no info on carbonating sodas.

Back