First Time Kegger - Carb Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkmcd3

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

I hope all is well with everyone. This is my first post so I will try to make it a good one! I have been brewing for about 3 years, well I guess 2 technically, its been about a year since I brewed. My awesome girlfriend got me a keg and all the goodies that go with it as a gift a couple months ago...so dusted off the equipment and got back to brewing.

Nut Brown Ale (Recipe from Local Brew Shop)
5 days in primary
2 weeks in secondary

Then I moved it to the keg. I tried not to pick up any of the sediment at the bottom of the secondary (not sure if I should have or not??). The local homebrew shop gave me a sheet on how much PSI to use...and I watched plenty of youtube videos on kegging. So I put it in to my fridge set to 40 degrees (F). I set the PSI to 10 and I let it sit for roughly a week.

First time I poured a glass, no head at all, and it tasted flat. I rolled the keg back and forth (this was the first time I did this). let it sit for another 2 days, still flat. I cranked up the PSI to about 12 or 13 and gave it another 4 or 5 days, I just poured a glass, and I got a nice thick head. However, it still taste a little flat, and I do not really see any kind of carbonation bubbles when it is in the glass? It is getting better but...

Is there anything I am doing wrong, or something that I can do to help it along...I am very thirsty gentlemen! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks and happy brewing!

John

You just need a bit more co2 to dissolve in your beer. It's hard to tell where you are at but you can either keep waiting, crank up the psi to 20 or 30 for a day, or crank up the psi to 30 and roll the keg for 30 second increments until your carb is right. I'm guessing your are close so a 30 second shake would probably do it. If you use this method you should let the beer settle for a few hours before you drink it.

First thing I would do is check all fittings and make sure they are tight. If you initially tightened everything when it was warm it is possible that the temp change caused the plastic and metals to expand and contract in some weird ways. Don't hurt to check that. Also as dumb as it sounds I have heard of people forgetting about the in-line valve under the gauge not being turned open all the way. Also make sure your ball or pin valves on the keg are tight with good looking gaskets. If your gauge says your maintaining volume then like John says crank up the co2. I personally carbonate mine at 30 psi for two days a shake it a couple times. This always gives me a thick head with a nice Brussels lace.

Setting to the chart pressures will take between 2-3 weeks. You'll get a lot of varying advice but please don't go cranking the pressure and shake. Give it a couple more days at 12psi and if it's not there, I'd suspect the gauge may be off a bit.

How long is the tubing between the keg and faucet?

Man, talk about digging up bones! I posted this over a year and a half ago. Since that point I do what Bobby M above mentions... the good ole set and forget! works every time.

But, thanks for the responses!

John

Latest posts

Back