First time keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakehale

Reaction score
Hello folks,,, getting ready for my first keg experience (as soon as my parts get here). I have been reading a lot but as you know there is some information there, some there and opions are everywhere. just to help me a little, looking for a one stop answer bank..

First, I have a Wheat sitting in the chamber that will be my first keg,,, How long is to long in the carboy? today is three weeks and I am hoping my equipment comes in this week. So will the wheat be ok sitting there until that time?

when i transfer to the keg. do i do it like bottles? rack to bottle bucket mix with suger and then transfer to keg?

I plan on doing the high charge to 30 PSI for a day, then drop to 12 for a couple of weeks while sitting in 40* fridge.

then to my understanding after 2 weeks, drop to 8 psi and drink away.

sound right?

thanks
Jake

How long is to long in the carboy?
A month is the norm for my beers. My best batch of Alphawine spent 6 months in primary.

when i transfer to the keg. do i do it like bottles?
Yep a keg is just a giant metal bottle.

rack to bottle bucket mix with suger and then transfer to keg?
You will not need this step if you are carbing with a CO2 bottle.

I carb by setting it @ 20PSI for 3-5 days then set it to 10PSI for serving.

Your beer is fine in secondary until your ready.

Don't add sugar if your force carbing.

I leave mine at 12 and it is fine.

Thanks folks....

So no sugar,,, just fill keg, pressure and cool?

sounds great.

thanks again.
jake

Fill keg, then chill, then pressure. If you want to carbonate at room temp you'll need much higher pressures.

Why drop to 12 psi and then again to 8 psi? Which pressure is the one that corresponds to the carbonation level you're shooting for (AKA serving pressure)? If it's 8 psi you'll overcarb it by leaving it at 12 for so long. If it's 12 psi, your beer will lose carbonation over time sitting at 8. If you want to rush the process, set it at a higher pressure (20-30psi) for a day or two, and then drop it to serving pressure for a few days. If you're not in a hurry, just set it at serving pressure and leave it alone for 10-14 days.

Oh, and if you decide you want to prime with sugar and carb naturally in the keg, you'd just add the sugar to the keg, no need for a bottling bucket.

Back