First time in FastFerment conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobb25

Reaction score
On MAY 7, 2016 I did my first brew of the 2016 season, a California Common Steam beer, and racked it into my new FastFerment conical. Temps were good, and the OG was stellar at 1.061. On June 1 I decanted 2 of the sample bottles of trub and left the beer undisturbed in the conical. It sort of bothered me that you couldn't see through the sides of the conical as I was used to fermenting in glass carboys, but there was plenty of action in the trap. On June 7, I decanted the conical into a keg and after purging set it at 15 # and left it at about 38 deg. F. On June 11 I drew uff a murky cloudy glass of good tasting beer, and hoped that it would clear up. After about a week and four or 5 glasses of cloudy beer , I'm wondering what went wrong. I used Irish moss and all of the normal prodcedures, except for using the new conical. The beer tastes good to me, a little on the malty side with not as much hop bite as I had hoped, but that is OK. But I am just not happy with the cloudiness. I was looking at a beer filter on line today, and it said not to use it after the beer is carbonated. Do you think that the gelatin procedure would clear it up at this point ? Any other ideas of what I may have done wrong?

I've never used a conical so I don't think I'll be much help there, but I'm assuming you drained all the trub before you racked the beer to the keg, right?

As for the gelatin, yes, it will still work. Just follow normal procedure for gelatin and add it to the keg. Wait two or three days and then the first 3 or 4 glasses that you pour are gonna be pretty murky still but it should clear up substantially after that.

Back