First time Hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleinen

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out some grains to steep with for a hefeweizen. I am new to the whole brewing thing and this will be my 2nd time brewing. Here is a list of the grains I all have on hand. I am trying to do an extract brew and I think I have the extract part figured out.

Biscuit Malt (Castle) 1 lb. Crushed
Carapils (Briess) 1 lb. Crushed
Caramel 10L (Briess) 1 lb. Crushed
Chocolate Malt (Briess) 1 lb.Crushed
Pale Malt (Crisp) 1 lb. Crushed
Special Roast (Briess) 1 lb. Crushed
CaraWheat® (Weyermann®) 1 lb. Crushed
Red Wheat (Rahr) 1 lb. Crushed
White Wheat (Rahr) 1 lb. Crushed

Well typically hefeweizens are a 50/50 ratio of 2-row and wheat malt. However, steeping wheat malt will do nothing for you. I would say use 70% wheat extract to 30% light malt extract. A lot of hefeweizens flavor comes from the yeast!

I plan on using Weihenstephan Weizen Activator Wyeast ACT3068. My extract ratio is exactly what you said.

That is the right yeast to use. I would just stick with the extract and hops, no need to steep anything in this one.

Well, why not steep 8oz of Carapils just for the heck of it? You have it already and their product sheet says it adds "enhanced foam production, head retention, and fuller body and mouthfeel". So why not? I don't think it would hurt in any way but rather add to it.

As for the wheat to barley ratio, while a number of recipes do have a 50/50 ratio in Germany they do anywhere from 50-75% wheat to barley ratio typically from what I've read.

Rev.

My original thought was carapils and the carawheat but not sure what that would do for me.

My original thought was carapils and the carawheat but not sure what that would do for me.

Well the Carawheat might need mashing, I'm not too sure here since I'm still noobish myself, so maybe someone else will straighten that out. But the Carapils can definitely be steeped. So why not? At least this way instead of a straight up extract recipe you can add a tad more complexity to it. At least that's how I see it.

Rev.

Back