First time full batch boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acommonsoul

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I finally got my new Spike brewing 10 gallon kettle and I am preparing to do my first extract in it. In the past, I have always did the boil with around 3 gallons and then added water to meet the 5 gallons. Now that I'm going to do the whole batch at once, I was wondering how much water I should use to steep the specialty grains? It is my understanding that specialty grains should be steeped in about 2 gallons of water. Would adding the additional water to that amount mess up anything since it will cause the water temperature to drop considerably? How do you guys do it?

Thanks

I see nothing wrong with steeping them in the full boil volume just like you would otherwise. As long as you are heating the whole thing up. That is similar enough to a BIAB method.

But steeping in less, then adding water shouldn't have an adverse effect if you are pulling them out before adding the water.

Hello everyone! I finally got my new Spike brewing 10 gallon kettle and I am preparing to do my first extract in it. In the past, I have always did the boil with around 3 gallons and then added water to meet the 5 gallons. Now that I'm going to do the whole batch at once, I was wondering how much water I should use to steep the specialty grains? It is my understanding that specialty grains should be steeped in about 2 gallons of water. Would adding the additional water to that amount mess up anything since it will cause the water temperature to drop considerably? How do you guys do it?

Thanks

I'd expect your recipe to suggest how much water for steeping grains, but if not, then I'd use a factor of about 1g to 1# of grain, though I wouldn't go over 2g/#. I'm an All Grain brewer and typically I mash (equivalent in a way to steeping, just less water) at ~1.5qts/1# grain. So your understanding as a rule of thumb is perfectly fine, it really will not make much of a difference. Here's what I'd add:
Steep at whatever temp recipe calls for, likely in the 150-165 range, stay under 175 or so, certainly below 180 as tannin extraction becomes more likely. At the end of the steep, go at least 30 min, pull the bag and squeeze it out. Then, you could even add water through the bag to rinse out any more sugars from the grain. This is essentially what us AG brewers do in our sparge step (rinse the grains). Then you bring up to boil and add the rest of the extract per recipe as well as hops per schedule. Cheers! :mug:

I'd expect your recipe to suggest how much water for steeping grains, but if not, then I'd use a factor of about 1g to 1# of grain, though I wouldn't go over 2g/#. I'm an All Grain brewer and typically I mash (equivalent in a way to steeping, just less water) at ~1.5qts/1# grain. So your understanding as a rule of thumb is perfectly fine, it really will not make much of a difference. Here's what I'd add:
Steep at whatever temp recipe calls for, likely in the 150-165 range, stay under 175 or so, certainly below 180 as tannin extraction becomes more likely. At the end of the steep, go at least 30 min, pull the bag and squeeze it out. Then, you could even add water through the bag to rinse out any more sugars from the grain. This is essentially what us AG brewers do in our sparge step (rinse the grains). Then you bring up to boil and add the rest of the extract per recipe as well as hops per schedule. Cheers! :mug:

Tannin extraction is mostly driven by pH with the higher temperature as a secondary factor. When you steep your grains in the smaller amount of water the grains pull down the pH which limits the possibility of tannins. If you keep the temperature below 170 that further limits it so you probably won't have a problem with the pH of the larger volume of water. Make sure to pull the grains out before heating to boil.

Try to steep your grains at 155 degrees. Not that that exact temperature is so necessary for the steeping but it is a good practice for a later time when you decide to go partial mash or all grain. (I'd suggest you skip the partial mash, your choice on that)

If you go with the 2 gallons to steep and then add more water the temperature will drop but with the grains pulled out all that will do is take a bit longer to get to boil.

Thanks everyone. I think I will stick with steeping with 2gal and then pull the grains out and add the full boil volume. Thanks for the help

Back